Saturday, November 3, 2007

Weekly Wellness

Killing Dolphins: A bulletin board near my home cautions people to not feed the dolphins. It says that feeding them will kill them. I wonder what they mean exactly. It could play out several ways, but I suspect that dolphin’s systems cannot handle what people might throw to them, bread and sweets for example. I think it’s not so good to give that stuff to ducks either. Actually, the more processed a food is the worse it is for ALL our systems.
Mid Day Breaks: Just out. A midday nap may boost productivity. May be, but there is much more research that suggests exercise breaks boost productivity, in that it improves blood flow to the brain and hence, the ability to concentrate is improved. The studies I have read were conducted in school settings where the children had exercise breaks during the day and then were observed as to staying on task or not. They also studied children not given the exercise breaks and indeed the exercisers did much better. YES! That is what I am talking about. Movement
Plant Sterols: In food, the commercial says, plant sterols have been found to reduce cholesterol levels. This is true. The commercial then tells you that their product with these added to it, will lower your LDL as well. I am going to tell you my reaction and then I am going to admit I am wrong. GOSH, I hate that. I thought, the research does NOT support that. The research always says that getting things from their natural source as opposed to a supplemented form is better, or near always better. I still say, why would I buy margarine with plant sterols to reduce the level of LDL in my body when using spreads like that is really not good for me? That may remain true, but the benefits of eating these functional foods with plant sterols, stanols and esters may in fact be health promoting. The AHA however, states that they are not needed if you DO NOT HAVE high LDL. In other words, they are not a preventative sort of thing. Here are the links to two reputable sites that I have to say support the dang commercial. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002 (scroll down the page) and http://www.ific.org/publications/factsheets/sterolfs.cfm (this is from July!)
Calorie Aware: NYC has not folded in its fight to have calorie and other nutrition content listed on menus. This is one of my policy favs along with SHS initiatives. That would be Second Hand or Environmental Tobacco Smoke. Remember some cooks are notorious about their disregard for restraint when using oils, butters and sugars. NO ONE needs an entrĂ©e with over 1000 calories in it, but they are everywhere. Sometimes the name of the food and its description sound healthy, like a red sauce over a white one, or baked instead of fried, or even, a vegetable plate. Yet you get 30 grams of fat and over 1000 calories for your seemingly healthy choice. I know, not everyone who eats out gives a darn about eating a healthy meal. But because health organizations across the WORLD keep telling us that our gluttony intentional or not is killing us, those of us who’d like to moderate our calories ought to be able to do so without ordering plain food all the time. So there, I guess I have an opinion with a little passion to boot. So the NYC Board of Health is pushing to make eateries that have franchises and standardized foods list the calorie, fat and sodium content of those foods, right there on the menu where customers can see it before they order. This includes places like McDonalds, Starbucks, Apple Bees, Red Lobster, Bone Fish… get it? It is a start and my fingers are crossed for them. Here is an example or two so you get the idea of what eating out without this info can cost you: Shrimp Portofino at Macaroni Grill 1130 calories, okay well that’s it. Guess what? that info is hard to find. They really need to pass that law!
Obesity-BMI-Doctor Visits: Hmm. What can these three things have in common? They can all be associated with disease outcomes. Obesity is directly linked to diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and some cancers. The BMI, or body mass index, can be used in many cases to determine if a person is overweight or obese. And a doctor? Well, a doctor has an ethical obligation to tell his or her patient that their weight is a problem. The state of West Virginia is implementing a program that includes the use of a little BMI wheel. The doctor can line up values, weight and height; say you are five foot one and weight 150 pounds, then the wheel will show your BMI at about 28, near obese. This is sort of ingenious in that the doctor can say the wheel indicates a problem not “I” see a problem. Hey if it gets the issue some attention which West VA hopes it’s fine by me. West Virginia with Medicaid and its public employee insurance spent over 193 million on obesity related illness last year. I would LOVE to be part of a group that encourages health care providers to talk to their patients about weight. From my hospital days, I see quite the need for this attention. Want to know your BMI before someone spins the wheel at your next MD visit? Check it out here http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
A Proposal: Former NC senator John Edwards is proposing government control over drug company ads. He believes there should be a delay between drug approval and drug ads. He also believes the FDA should approve the ads and that more disclosure on side effects should be provided. He asserts that the ads are misleading and should not speak for doctors or evidence based research. With a four billion dollar expenditure for advertising per year, the drug companies have lots of money to fight him on this.
Speaking of: On opposite sides of the page in a national paper, I saw an article regarding how to make diabetes education culture specific and an ad form Sanofi Aventis (drug c0) pushing insulin. Hello? The culturally specific article was cool. Tailoring the food message to Asian, Mexican, and Italian etc.. families, was very smart. Encouraging people to ask for insulin as a first line treatment for diabetes is invasive and cruel.

Well, weeks ago I dropped a jar of my most beloved Smuckers All Natural Peanut Butter on the top of my bare foot. My foot turned purple and swelled despite the IMMEDIATE application of ice. But then I sucked it up a day or so later and went back to my regular running routine. Yeah Me! It improved right up until the day it got worse, HA> I am cross training these days… dumb me smartens up… … I still love that !@#^*&^^% peanut butter.

Wishing you Wellness in a world of attacking food products

No comments: