Friday, August 8, 2008

wellness weekly

Calories Matter: On my way to my Sunday morning run, I heard a health news segment regarding physical fitness. To the best of my memory, the speaker was Dr. Joanne Slavin from the University of Minn. She discussed the need for people to be active and to eat nutritious foods, but in the right quantities. She encouraged us to not lose sight of the fact that calories matter. Of course, types of calories can have a profound effect on your system. For example, 1500 calories of fruits, veggies and whole grains is far better than 1500 calories of Twinkies. Her point wasn’t that specific however. She wanted to drive home, once and for all it seems, that no food can be eaten with reckless abandon no matter what your activity level or metabolism is. The amount we eat should be based on need not desire. Furthermore, she noted that people who have maintained a healthy weight for years also engage in daily exercise, as much as 60 minutes a day, actually, on average it was 60 minutes a day. It may seem a lot, but if 1 of your 24 hours is spent making the other 23 better, then it is worth it. She also said that we should all engage in a little Nutrition 101. It is not dieting that makes us healthy, it is lifestyle. All this being said, I loved her of course, as I have already adopted every single one of her suggestions. In fact, sharing the message has become my passion.

First Watch: On the same day as the above I went out for breakfast with my running friends. One ordered oatmeal and told the waitress he didn’t want any of that low fat milk. I was completely shocked and near giddy when the waitress responded that they did not CARRY any milk over 1% milk fat. I thought that was awesome. Chuck got over it. He told her just not to tell him it wasn’t real milk. The Governor of Florida, you may have heard of him, Charlie Crist, has a Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness where he has recommendations made by experts and one of them is that it be 1% or less everywhere, even SCHOOL. So, again, that rocks.

Omega 3:6:9:
I am trying to get a handle on the news that essential fatty acids are only beneficial when consumed in certain ratios. And as Dr. Slavin wants us to be educated, I am trying to rise to the challenge. I fear that I may just confuse my readers right along with me, so well, hey maybe one of you will straighten me out! First I learned that some time past, an experiment was completed that sought to determine the amount of Omega 6 a person needed and based on that research recommendations were made. Later, the study was challenged along with the number because the mice used were deficient in Omega 6 at baseline and we are not. Another problem is that the foods we eat have a lot of Omega 6 and maybe that has increased over time. Omega 3 is harder to find in food and is mostly in fish and some oils. We have to be careful then that we are not adding more 6 when we add the 3 and that is the problem with tilapia. Too much 6 can increase inflammation when the whole point of 3 is to decrease it. Dizzy yet? I have no idea where Omega 9 fits in. So, many sources say that the Omega 3 to Omega 6 should be higher. Some say 1:1 but others say 2 or 3 to 1. Alright then, is that clear? Did you know that there were long and medium chain fats……

I had several more stories to cover this week, but you know, I am kind of beat just now. So happy weekend and get some exercise already!

No comments: