Sunday, October 12, 2014

Rethink Butts.

For me, and perhaps many of you, no place soothes my soul more than the sea - specifically the shore.  I love the sand, the sun, the sound of the waves and the great, vast, body of water that looms before me.  I am protective of my beautiful place - of the earth in general  - and I most passionately and avidly promote tobacco free beaches, parks and trails.

If I could be responsible for passing one law - it would not be diet related - it would be one that led to Tobacco Free Beaches USA.

Today I heard a public service announcement from a Legacy Foundation and Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics partnership.  The PSA was launched over a year ago, in honor of Earth Day 2013.  I am sharing the PSA with you so you will consider joining in the effort to rid the earth of toxic cigarette waste.  If you are a smoker, I hope you are like many I see who respect the earth and dispose of their butts responsibly (i.e., not out the car window or on the ground).  {I have to add, if you are a smoker, quitting smoking is hard, but doable and it will change your life! Click here for help.}

Cigarette butts are not readily biodegradable; they don't break down and harmlessly evaporate into the air.  The filters breakdown (after many years) into particles of a harmful plastic compound and the chemical components are absorbed into the soil or worse, children and or animals (dogs, cats, fish, etc) come into contact with the discarded cigarettes and are poisoned by them. 

Please listen to the PSA by clicking on the arrow and to learn more, go to the rethinkbutts website here.


No comments: