Saturday, January 31, 2009

wellness weekly

It has been said and I agree, it is easier to stay well than to become well. This is the prevention versus treatment issue that has long existed. The difference now is that so much has been learned about what keeps us well and sadly, we do not do it.

Obesity and Pregnancy: I have talked about smoking and pregnancy as it can lead to birth complications, including low birth weight. I read this week that the same outcome can occur if the mother is obese. Recently I had read that the infant of an obese mother was more likely to have an adverse outcome than the infant of an underweight mother. The low birth weight is concerning because it increases the risk of death in the first years of life.

Breastfeeding and Pregnancy: In this past week I had opportunity to review this issue anew and in fact, wrote to and received feedback from a tobacco researcher, Neal Benowitz, whom I respect much and had not contacted prior to this. I know from a nurse that some hospitals will not allow smoking mothers to breastfeed premature infants (which is another complication related to smoking and pregnancy). I also know that nicotine and carbon monoxide are toxic so I assumed that breastfeeding while a smoker was more than discouraged. It isn’t. And a study also released recently said that many people who smoke do not breastfeed when in fact they should. In other words, the breast milk is better than the toxins are bad. Mothers should wait two hours before breast feeding if they smoke and should always wash their hands and change their clothes before handling the baby. Of course, the best thing to do is quit smoking.

Alzheimer’s Disease: I have seen AD up close and personal with regards to my previous work in a psychiatric in-patient unit, but not in a family member, which I cannot begin to imagine beyond what I have witnessed from watching loved ones of patients I assisted. I believe, and maybe I said this here recently, that environment is the best way to “treat” this illness at this time. Of course, drug companies continue to work to find something to manage the behavior and prevent further memory loss. I was however, somewhat shocked by a headline that I did not write down, regarding the efforts of such companies. Actually, I am going to Google it to see if I can find it, because I don’t think I even need to opine further if you read the actually headline, or blurb that I saw…. Hold Tight… Well I cannot find it but it referred to one of the Big Pharma companies building its “Alzheimer’s Empire.”

Peanut Butter Recall: Well, this just seems like our very own melamine scandal now doesn’t it?

Darvon: All right, the FDA is on this one, at least a panel of experts that they sometimes listen to is. The panel is recommending that Darvon be banned. It is a pain killer that is often abused and or used in suicides. The drug is a narcotic and contains acetaminophen as well. Research shows that the pain relief really comes from the acetaminophen and not the sedating other ingredients. Ironically, the response from one of the two companies that sell the drug was that well, other painkillers are abused too. Well yes they are and even worse, but since it doesn’t really WORK why risk it.

More Play: One can not think that a thing is going to happen and still think that it should and that it is a really good idea. An article this week supports the notion that exercise actually leads to improved learning and that children would benefit from more physical activity and less work. Even if it didn’t, the kids do need to move more as the obesity epidemic is going to rob them of years of healthy life and it doesn’t matter how smart you are if your dead. Sorry teachers! Actually, I know that exercise improves attention, memory and even problem solving skills, anecdotally. This report and those before it find the benefit to kids in as few as one 15 minute break and more benefit with multiple breaks. Some kids don’t get any exercise at home so they have really suffered as recess has been curtailed.

Depression: Just to be fair, though begrudgingly, a study that compared over one hundred studies of our new antidepressant meds found that two were effective based on reduced symptoms and maintenance. In other words, if a drug works but you don’t keep taking it, then it is not the drug for you. We used to say at the hospital, that sometimes the drug that works is the one they’ll take! Because there are so many and so many people switch from one to the other when one works it is hard to tell what really happened. So in this report, Remeron and Effexor may work best, but Zoloft and Lexapro are taken more consistently and thus win the prize. Side effects, though substantial for all psychotropics, were not reviewed in the study. BTW, I recently heard an Abilify commercial that said “if your antidepressant isn’t working” that well you should “ask your doc about ALSO taking Abilify.” I am thinking, if your antidepressant isn’t working… Try something besides a PILL!!!

Happy Weekend oh and go NFC… couldn’t bring myself to say the name as I am and will always be… a NYG fan….

Deirdre

No comments: