Monday, July 6, 2009

Eating Contests

I am sure I should ease up on my judgment of the world, and yet I cannot.

People stuffing themselves with hot dogs, pies and what have you, well it certainly grosses me out and I consider it to be insane. Though, if my memory serves me correct, I was in an apple pie eating contest some time before the age of 8. That was the only one though and I don't really remember much of it. It was an annual clam bake in upstate New York, maybe even on the 4th of July.

So people are gluttons no doubt. Oh, some people are gluttons, which is why we have all you can eat buffets that leave many patrons with a busting gut and a future of chronic disease...

But when we drag animals into it... I do have to draw a line..

A story in the USA Today over the weekend, very lightheartedly, reported on a hot dog BUN eating contest. This was a low key event in preparation for the next days actual hot dog eating contest.

For fun, Ringling Bros let the elephants play along. Yes, the elephants stood behind a table full of hot dog buns and ate to their content. Ironically, the elephants had enough sense to stop the processed food gorging and eat some fruit instead.

It has been noted in the research that some of our fowl have diabetes from all the white bread we feed them. It is warned that we should not feed many animals as we may kill them with our overly processed high fat foods, and yet we do. "Isn't it cute the pigeon ate my donut"... well it isn't cute. If we want to eat crap ourselves so be it, but don't feed it to the wildlife.

Not that I have an opinion.... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe that's why all those ducks/geese/whatever hang around Salem Lake ... so they can get handouts of protein bars and gel packs from all the long-distance runners? Ha, ha! (from your old Salem Lake running buddy ... you know the one ... that two years ago right now, we were getting ready for that half-a-thon!)