Friday, September 4, 2009

Support from the NFL

Today I want to give a shout out to an NFLer who really doesn't get a lot of good press. The reason he gets kudos from me and on my health promotion site is because he is a big man who eats a whole lot of calories and does a lot of physical activity, including a very serious weight training routine, but still chooses to eat healthy to get his calories. In fact, he orders his food in much the same manner as I, and that, from a 6 foot 3 inch 223 pound man, is something to share with the world!

Terrel Owens, a wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills was featured in a WSJ article on "What's Your Workout" this week. In discussing his diet, or what he eats on a regular basis, he spoke of lean proteins such as chicken, grilled fish, low fat yogurt and egg whites. He is quoted as saying that he eats five to six small meals a day, hello, just like ME! He also eats whole wheat pasta and steamed or raw vegetables. When he gets a salad at a restaurant he tells them to hold the bacon and cheese, JUST LIKE ME!

If he is going to be on the road a lot, though, he brings a chef along who can prepare him healthy meals. I am my own chef, but he could hire me. He also avoids sweets. Oh and one of the best things he said is that he no longer drinks protein shakes or really any kind of liquid calories, preferring to eat real food to get the protein that he needs. Man oh Man.. he just validated years of what I have been saying.. Cool Beans.

If I ever get to do a community based obesity intervention and he stops pissing every body off, he can be my celebrity spokesperson!

No comments: