Sunday, November 21, 2010

Odds and Ends

Medicine and Weight Gain - Yesterday I spoke to a group of women.  My topic was physical activity and heart disease.  One of the women in the audience told me that she was put on medication for her diabetes and she began to gain weight.  She asked the doctor if there was something about her medicine that she should know, but was told there wasn't.  Eventually, she did find out that the medicine was affecting the way her body handled some nutrients and now she is trying to do something about it.  She was a very large woman - well, she wasn't, but she is now.  One of the things I had the class do was slowly lift one leg at a time while sitting in their chair.  This is to work the core muscles.  This woman could not do this well because her stomach was laying heavily on her thighs.  I tell you this because I am angry that someone did not tell her that the medicine would have such an effect.  I still believe that food is what makes us gain weight, but someone should have told her to expect a change in metabolism , so that she could adjust her eating and exercising habits.

Cholesterol - A certain drug company, Merck, is very excited about the results of its new cholesterol drug.  It has been very effective in not only lowering bad cholesterol but also in raising good cholesterol.  What we do not know at this time is if the levels of each as seen in the study are going to have any impact on the outcome of interest.  The outcome of interest isn't how low we can get cholesterol but whether or not it prevents a heart attack.  That information is pending, as is the question, can it be too low?  In fact, the article I read about this study was in the WSJ and written by Ron Winslow.  In that article the LDL level was something like 45  - 45! and that number was referred to as very low.  I thought it was ridiculously low.  RL-LDL.  It was said to be the level of low density lipoprotein with which we are born.  The reason I am writing has  more to do with these statements.  The first is from one of the researchers, Dr. Rossetti who noted that cardiovascular disease was a great opportunity (for Merck).  And from the journalist, "the cardiovascular franchise is emerging as a promising opportunity."  The cardiovascular franchise - that statement alone should inspire you to eat smart and move more - drug companies are profit driven - period.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - All that being said, when I spoke with my 85 year old aunt today and learned that her week was pretty hard because of the pain associated with her RA, I immediately thought of this new drug that was doing well in phase 3 trials.  You can read about the study here. This link is to the technical abstract.  In RA, the most effective drugs so far have been the biologics and injectables, but side effects can be quite serious.  The new drug is being evaluated for reducing the disease activity and the symptoms a person experiences.  Another measure of effect is the the ability of the individual to do certain self care or daily activities.  The team looked at 20% improvement in the activity and symptoms and 70% improvement.  There was a larger percentage who got the 20 percent improvement, but still, some had the 70% improvement and I sure wish that could have been my aunt.  I also wish her doctor would have put her in the trial.  Of course, she is old, frail and has other diseases - not exactly who you want in your study.  I say all of this to admit that though I abhor medications and believe first and foremost in prevention - I see when medication is the necessary option.

Alcohol with Energy - I may have mentioned this as recently as last week.  Alcoholic beverages that contain caffeine have been a growing concern for many states and health advocates.  Some legislatures have banned them.  One of my professors, Dr. David Wyrick spoke with me about the drinks recently.  He told stories of young persons who were on their second or third drink when the effects of the first one hit them.  He said that much of the concern was for people who were like me - small and female.  Good news is that the FDA is involved.  Here is the update on letters of concern that have gone out to the companies making these beverages.  The companies are not taking this well.

Weight Loss Patch - I saw a headline that said something like, "could a stick on patch help you lose weight?"  I did not seek out the article ( I cannot do much seeking anymore) but my out loud comment was, " SURE - if you eat less while wearing it"

Scanners - Boy was I right to think that the airport scanners were back in the news, and HOW.  Updates on that include that pilots will NOT have to use them and that the airport I am flying out of Thursday does not have them.  As I understand it, you only get the pat down if you refuse the scanner or have some other unusual security issue, but just because the airline doesn't have the scanner doesn't mean you get a pat down.  On Science Friday (NPR) this week there was a discussion about the two types of scanners that are in use. Only one emits the radiation and is of concern (as far as we know).  The guest didn't really know why the radiation scanners were being used at all, since the other type  works just as well.  I imagine it has to do with money - what do you think? 
 By the way, my aunt saw some of the travel uproar on the news this week and asked me, "Do they really make you take your shoes off?"  Oh, my dear auntie - it has been too long since she has flown.

Now it is Sunday night so you know what that means - FOOTBALL

No comments: