Friday, May 6, 2011

Both Sides of the Equation

I had several things come to my attention today through various sources; email, journal articles and an IHOPS commercial that warrant blog attention. I  am going to stick with the two emails for tonight.

Calories in - A former colleague and current friend emailed me today to let me know that she pulled a Deirdre.  If you have ever worked with me, you would know exactly what she meant by that and some of you who are reading, have in fact, worked with me:)  I absolutely live and breathe what I write, read and talk about - 100% of the time (no matter who is there, what is the occasion, and what everyone else is doing).  This requires me to bring my own food to most events - at first, years ago, I just thought about me - or didn't go at all, or ate before I went.  When I brought my own food, but only enough for me, people wanted to know what it was, how I prepared it and what it tasted like.  I then started to bring enough to share and found that people often were grateful to have that as an option.
My friend Jess is a Mom - a conscientious mother of a finicky four year old (I think her daughter is four). Her daughter's school was having an event and the parents were asked to bring in treats to share - Now I suppose the word treat has a certain "sweet" and high caloric connotation, but my friend considered a treat to be something extra or special and brought a veggie platter and fruit tray.  All the other "treats" were what you would expect, brownies, cookies and cupcakes.  Mind you, my friends daughter is on the low side of a normal weight - and just like me - one day she will be saying that she looks like she can eat anything not because she CAN, but because she doesn't.  Did I say, the teachers were THRILLED to have this healthy addition to their appreciation luncheon.  Strong Work Jes!

Energy Out - and for this delightful news - I will post a link.  Michelle Obama (and hundreds - thousands? of children) celebrates Beyonce's promotion of physical activity - song and dance - Get Moving indeed!

No comments: