Monday, May 9, 2011

In the Company of Others

In thinking of the last few days, I realize that as much as some of us enjoy sharing in the pleasures of decadent gourmet and sometimes just high calorie food splurges - sharing healthy foods and calorie control is also pretty cool.

When I went to dinner Friday night, my friend, as she often does, told me to order first and then said, "I will have that exact same thing." 

Yesterday, my sister made beef, potatoes and corn for our Mom and my brother in law, while we shared a "bamboo" steamed seafood meal - see photo.  {yes, same sister who was a food pusher on Saturday :)}


dinner with my sister, she made heart shaped veggies!

Today, I was with a group of friends who are known both for their healthy,active ways and their love of red meat, fried foods and sweets.  Our server brought special donuts with a creamy, sugary dip at the end of the meal.  One of my friends politely declined the donuts (noting she could not exercise at the same level as our other friend who ate two).  I realized then that it was pretty cool to not be the only one in a group of seven who wasn't eating dessert. 

And at that, my vacation is over and I fly back to NC in the wee hours of Tuesday. 

1 comment:

Paula said...

It was great to see both you and your mom! Once again, without even trying, you have inspired me to make healthy choices.

Just because Coach chooses not to eat a fat laden, sugary dessert; doesn't mean that she wouldn't like to...

See you next time.