Sunday, June 14, 2009

Health Care Insurance

It has been a long, but productive and enjoyable Sunday for me. I hope that you also had a nice day.

Just briefly then.

I had said to my mother on Friday that I thought health insurance should be like car insurance or home owners insurance. When we get those types of insurances, we do everything we can to act in ways that will not lead to a price increase. People who do not speed or get into self caused accidents have better rates. People who live in hazardous zones pay higher premiums.

Why wouldn't we take care of our bodies? Oh, yes, likely because pharmaceutical companies tell us we do not have to as pills can fix everything. Well, they cannot. And when they can treat a condition it often comes with a real and physical price. We also spend a lot on tests, scans, procedures etc which do not change outcomes.

With my whole heart I believe that health insurance and health care is a resource to be preserved.

I found on Friday that my idea wasn't new at all as the CEO of Safeway had an article in the WSJ saying just about the same thing. I saw also that he had started a coalition.

I can not say this better so below are the links to the article and to his website.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124476804026308603.html

http://www.coalition4healthcare.org/

No comments: