Monday, June 15, 2009

Recommended Daily Intake

Due to some conversations I have had with friends of late, I wanted to write a few words (HAHAHA ) about caloric intake in the context of the nutrients that the body needs. I shuffled through some old files and found my notes from a simple nutrition course that I had taken some years ago.

My purpose today is not to tell you how many calories you need nor what percent of carbs, fat or protein... the gold standard for that kind of personal input is a licensed nutritionist. I do want you to be able to access credible Internet resources that can give you a general idea of how many calories you may need. Remember, the energy you need is based on the size you are now, the size you want to be and what you require of your body. I.e. , a football player versus an office receptionist who walks after work.

I also believe that if you limit saturated fat and sugar you will get the right amount of protein and carbs. (actually it is like the saying my Mom is fond of, "if you take care of the pennies the dollars will take care of themselves". If you watch the fat and sugar, and sodium as well, then chances are you will also cut the calories) To survive, to function, our body needs protein, fat (mono and poly unsaturated), carbohydrates (specifically complex ones), water, vitamins and minerals.

According to my study notes, which are several years old, a person needs about 60% complex carbs, zero refined sugar and about 25 grams of fiber a day. Protein, carbs and monounsaturated fats are key. I do not have my Cooper Institute notebook at home with me, but I recall one of the professors telling us not to get caught up in percent breakdowns.

Please consider this food guide pyramid by Walter Willett, MD and the Harvard School of Public Health.









Copyright © 2008. For more information about The Healthy Eating Pyramid, please see The Nutrition Source, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, http://www.thenutritionsource.org/, and Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy, by Walter C. Willett, M.D. and Patrick J. Skerrett (2005), Free Press/Simon & Schuster Inc.


I believe if you follow these recommendations within
your own caloric requirements you would get the right amount of carbs and protein, etc. If you are underweight, recovering from illness, have wounds or injuries, a special recommendation will be made for you by a medical professional and or nutritionist.

Also use this website to get an idea of how many calories a day you may need.
Go to the bottom left and there is a link called Calorie Needs, click there:

http://www.standupandeat.org/

Continue to explore the above link and you will learn much to get yourself on the way to a healthy active life. Remember we want to extend healthy years not debilitating ones.

No comments: