Friday, March 26, 2010

Vigorous Activity


Got home late because I was with over 900 people running a 5K race to support a local nature preserve. I do NOT run 5Ks - my last one was in NC in 2005 - in the cold, up hill- on a Saturday morning. I ran it in an 8:55 pace (remember L.A.M.- way before we ran our first half!) - my fastest race ever was the same year I think - a 10K at an 8:33 pace.

deirdre is # 98, my friend #189 - Joan- she had the nerve to beat me!

When I switched to distance running - which I love and need to do - my pace suffered. I like to run 10 or more miles at a time - even 30Ks - but my pace hovers around 10 minutes or higher per mile at those distances.


Anyway - a friend of mine has begun running and she is FAST and she likes short distances. The race this evening is also popular and most of the people I enjoy running with were there. So what the heck, five years is a long enough time between 5Ks. I wanted to run fast, as my pace has improved somewhat recently - but I also have this same hamstring issue I have had for months - so I worried.


Long story short - I had a personal best - fastest pace for me - in any event I have run. But let me tell you - SO MANY people ran faster - 3.1 miles in 16 or 17 minutes is crazy insane to me. My time was 25:58 I think, gun time - chip time may have been a second faster.


As I was running with this pack of people - full out- with a burning in my gut - I realized that THIS is vigorous physical activity and that is why you do not have to do it for more than 20-30 minutes a day! I do prefer my slower hour runs - but I can see the heart health benefits in this full out pace.


I will say - there were ALL ages at this event and that a 73 year old man beat my time.. as did many people in their 50s and 60s. I also heard a lot of labored breathing along the way - which concerned me - so I think sometimes people get a notion that they can run fast without any preparation and it just isn't a smart thing to do - but that is another story.


And now - I am going to relax!


No comments: