Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Good Riddance Radiation

    I was so happy when I heard about this a week ago that I almost stopped my exams to blog about it.
   The airport scanners that use radiation - ones I have railed against in the pages of this blog site - are getting the boot.  Here is a link to just one of those examples.
   I would love to say that the complaints and concerns of people like me who value the health of the public and recognize that any amount of radiation is a risk, made this happen.  We did not.  Instead, the machines have been difficult to maintain, have technical glitches and may be improperly used by some airport employees.  Here is a short story about the removal of the machines from NYC airports.
   As they go, the reason doesn't matter so much - as long as they go.  Unfortunately, some of them are being recommissioned to smaller airports where I suppose the staff have the time to deal with problems. 

No comments: