Friday, October 5, 2012

NHIS in the 1960s

    Yes its me again.  I have not been searching for blog topics but in my studies today I came across some old health reports that I just have to share.
     I have introduced you to the National Health Information Survey and shared a few of the reports with you.  I did not realize until today that the survey has been in place since the 1960s.  Most of the first surveys had to do with illness and medical treatment.
    I was browsing the National Center for Health Statistics website looking for early reports of physical activity.  They did not begin until 1985.  

   I did open up a few documents from 1964-65 and copied these two gems for you: 
 A data report from the 1960s.....
Fifty percent of young mothers, 18-24 years of age, with
less than 12 years of education had smoked in the year
preceding the birth of their last child.
A sample question from one of the NHIS in the 60s.
 In your opinion which of these are the 2 best ways to lose weight

 Eat fewer calories
 Take diet pills
 Increase physical activity
 Eat NO fat
 Don't eat at bedtime
 Eat grapefruit with each meal

Go to the website and scroll to the very bottom to get to the old reports... the questions they asked and the answers received are illuminating.  Click HERE

No comments: