Saturday, October 27, 2012

What a 'Check Up' Gets You

   After writing last nights blog, I was surprised to see an article about the inadequacy of regular health checks. It was quite the coincidence.  I am going to try to link you to the article from here but before I do I wanted to add my two cents.
   After reading the article, it seemed to me that when healthy people get check ups, they end up being treated for some condition.  However,  the treatment does not improve their health or reduce any adverse outcomes.
   For example, a person who is healthy may be placed on a medication to lower their blood pressure or their cholesterol - but neither was actually high enough to be of concern. 
   From this I suspect that the big winners are whoever gets paid for the unnecessary treatment - first and foremost  - drug companies.
   After yesterday's post, you may think I am anti preventative medicine. I AM NOT.  I believe that the best thing we can do is eat well, maintain a normal weight, exercise and avoid tobacco smoke and other chemicals.  Also don't drink too much or spend too much time in the sun without sunscreen.  Oh ok - and use protection when you have sex :)
   Here is the link to the article which was very informative - it is from Medscape and written by Elizabeth DeVita-Raeburn.  

No comments: