Sunday, November 8, 2009

Odds and Ends

Metabolism: I addressed this just a day or so ago, however, today I saw a magazine cover with this teaser, "Is your metabolism broken?" And my immediate thought to that was, "NO. You need to exercise!."

Liposuction: I heard an add for the best or safest liposuction method and thought, "That is an oxymoron." I do not equate this or those take inches off in an hour techniques to be anything but foul hardy.



Weight Training: I am re reading some of my old books. Inside them I have found articles and notes including training regimens for myself. Holy COW, I was pretty intense before running took over. Even so, I was NEVER bulky and neither will you be if you lose weight and then strengthen your muscles.
(picture is circa 2002)

Anti role models: Back in July I mentioned some older women that I saw at the PGA National Spa in Florida. They were getting ready for their dance class and talking about the instructors and such. By their speech, I deduced that they were well educated, perhaps privileged and as I said, older. They looked fantastic and had incredibly positive energy. Today at my gym, I walked into an older woman (in the dressing room) who did not look so well put together and I sort of thought, "Oh Dear, Scare Me." And YET, she WAS at the gym so she is a role model in that regard.


Speaking of Role Models: One morning this week I saw an older woman walking, early in the morning and for exercise. She was leaned to the right, as if she had perhaps had a stroke in the past. She was out there walking and all I could think of was people who say, "Oh I am too tired, too busy, too lazy, too...." and how shamed they should be.


Relevance: Sometimes even I do not heed the medical information that I share with you. My biggest short coming is protecting myself from sun damage. However, when someone else suffers a consequence or scare, I do have enough sense to learn by their experience. A friend recently pointed out a scab on her head, under her hair, where she had a biopsy as her doc was concerned about skin cancer. Since that day I have worn my hat (not visor) when running and bought a straw hat to wear at the beach. I also write about bone health a lot and forget sometimes that I am IN the high risk group. It is for that reason I have returned to more focused and serious weight or resistance training.


Protective Factors: I have been working with my niece to develop a website. One of my subjects was protective factors. This is the working list.
Sunscreen and Hats
Seat belts
Condoms
Vaccines
Helmets
Fruits and Vegetables
Fiber
Exercise


And that brings to end another week -

No comments: