Monday, February 22, 2010

The Biggest Loser is Often Not the Smartest Loser

I scanned over some negative press last night regarding the TV show, The Biggest Loser. The arguments made against the program were ones that made perfect sense to me. Some of the following points were in the news piece though I added things that I have learned through various workshops and research studies, as well.

First the TV show is NOT real life! Very few of us can put our jobs, families and other commitments on hold and dedicate full days every day for weeks or months to engage in such a rigorous program. Second, the TV show ends, but the struggle to maintain a health promoting weight does not. Third, the competition is more likely to have a negative psychological impact on the "contestants" than a positive one. And I don't know about you, but when something upsets my psyche I am hard pressed to engage in positive coping skills - and if you are new to a behavior, the relapse potential is at least orange, if not RED. (I.e. high or severe threat!)

Then there is the science behind weight loss and physical activity. Losing weight fast can cause health complications, including gall bladder problems and anemia. Going from being sedentary to engaging in vigorous physical activity most days of the week for hours at a time, can and probably will lead to muscle and joint injury. It is also a good way to get someone to hate exercise.

The real weight loss winners are the ones who work with a physician and dietitian to determine the right caloric intake for them and then to follow the guidelines of health experts. For instance, Canada has this food guide for its citizens to follow. And the USA has this one. I promote Dr. Walter Willett and Dr. Barabara Rolls, as well as the Cooper Institute. I am perfectly comfortable with both the DHHS Nutrition and Physical Activity Guidelines. Oh and the website for Australians is especially colorful. You get the idea. There is a lot of evidenced based information out there that you can access and apply to your own life. And as I like to say in my own classes - this stuff only works if YOU WORK IT!

Do set goals - reasonable, achievable, smart - do engage in physical activity and do get support from friends. Health challenges are GREAT - nationally broadcast competitions, not so smart.

No comments: