Sunday, February 21, 2010

Odds and Ends

Fitness Facility Injuries: This first note is not exactly what I wanted it to be. I just spent my dinner time (I was eating) searching for an article that was referenced in a story only to find it was a book, not a journal and I cannot get my eyes on it. Really sucks. I read an article in an ACSM journal about law suits and treadmills. In that article it said that treadmill injuries were the fifth most common health club liability claim. I do not have access to the full list, but I sure wanted to see what the top four were. When I try to Google - injuries-, I get mistakes instead. Of course, not warming up and using improper form were noted. I am very curious about the other claims, maybe I can find the book at the library. Of note, I imagine some injuries happen on the other cardio equipment, the weight training machines and with free weights, in cycling and in step aerobics class - in fact, someone fell in my class last week!

Health Insurance Commercials: I have been noticing health insurance commercials recently - advertisements for private insurance that shows the premiums one might have to pay based on age, gender and such. The commercials show three or more examples and I noticed that above the sentence, woman age 45 (ex.) it says in lighter letters, "tobacco free". I work in tobacco education as my career and I knew that tobacco users paid more than non users, but really hadn't seen that distinction in an ad. To me, that proves more than anything that tobacco causes disease!

Chesticles and Shrinkage: I really wish I could remember which show or commentator or host made this statement as they should get the credit for this, but I cannot. Of course, I have been vocal about the negatives of using supplements, protein powders, growth hormones, performance enhancing drugs and steroids. We have almost all heard of roid rage - so we know that steroids are not without significant risks. What I heard someone else say this week was that steroid use also led to chesticles which I will leave you to imagine and that steroids also shrink a man's testicles. I found that ironic of course, especially because some men I see who are really , I mean REALLY, bulked up, walk like they have some significant um, hardware, between their legs. ( I'm just saying......)

More Drug Company Shame: News is out that the company that makes diabetes drug Avandia, the one with the warning label for cardiovascular risk, knew about the risks long before disclosing it and in fact, continued to conduct clinical research trials to compare it to another drug that was safer - even when subjects were suffering the consequences.

Most Important Statement of the Week: After Bill Clinton underwent a second procedure in regards to his heart disease, he said that he was going to be more "disciplined about exercising every day."

No comments: