Sunday, February 14, 2010

Odds and Ends

Groceries: It is a simple fact that I pay more attention to other people and their food choices than the average person does. I like to think that this is because I am always thinking of improving health and writing a blog. Earlier this week I spoke of the obesity problem and Michelle Obama's drive to make a change. I thought about her yesterday when I was in line waiting to check out with my groceries. In the lane across from me, I was drawn first to the over flowing shopping cart and then to the two tall men and a woman unloading it. It could have been that she was the Mom of one and the partner of the other, or the Mom of both - I was unable to determine age - but all were over age 16. On the conveyor belt I noticed multiple boxes of frozen pizza, hamburger helper and those prepackaged flavored noodles as well as gallons of HiC fruit punch. There were a lot of other things, but I was struck by those processed, high calorie foods and thought with a sigh, "That stuff is cheap and it is so so so wrong that people eat it without realizing the health consequences that accompany it."

Olympics: Last night I watched some of the games. I was particularly intrigued during the women's ski event. When the athletes were on deck to compete, the commentators were noting all the injuries and surgeries that they had experienced. One was jumping with a torn meniscus and another had had three or more surgeries in EACH knee. The women were between ages 18 and 35. I was stunned. Though I should not have been. Knees, hips, ankles - and heads - all at risk in extreme training and competition. Today I watched cross country skiing and realized that just finishing wasn't the end these men were striving for, they had to be in the top three. I consider this and think of my very active and determined self. I set goals too, usually distance goals, but I just want to finish - not to beat another person - well, I don't want to be last! I run or exercise as much as I do for the day to day benefit, the self esteem, the productivity, the sense of efficacy it gives me daily. And my family scowls at me, quite verbally at times, for running when I have a pulled muscle. Watching these events my jaw just sort of dropped. These courageous, powerful, dedicated persons are at high risk for debilitating arthritis in their 50s - and yet they push and push to be on those podiums and to receive those medals. Isn't that a contrast to the high number of sedentary adults there are in the world?

Snacks: I continue my hope for a sugar free, low calorie pop tart, but today I found something near as good. My also ran is the Newton Crisps, but the winner is Kellogg's Special K blueberry crisps. Oh so yummy, it is almost as good as a pop tart. And, I just realized that Kellogg's makes the pop tart. These snacks have 100 calories, but there are two pieces in each pouch.

New Drug Woes: I was really surprised to read about this blood thinning drug from Lilly that appears to not be doing well - with sales. I keep thinking that drugs have to be better or have less side effects to be on the market, but there are so many duplicates that I am doubting my beliefs. This drug is similar to Plavix - which will soon be generic. In this NY Times article three different medicines were said to prevent blood clots after angioplasty and stent placement. However, this one from Lilly, Effient seemed to increase bleeding and got itself a black box warning. In reading about this, I see that the drugs they use for thinning blood need to be short acting in case the patient needs surgery again. I remember my aunt talking about having to go off her blood thinner, wafarin, if she were going to have cataract surgery. Any way, I am getting distracted. In the NY Times article, written by Duff Wilson, I was most struck by this comment,

"Javan Collins, vice president of Lilly’s United States cardiovascular business,
said the company was using office visits, promotional speakers, new sales
materials and journal advertising to bolster Effient. “It’s a challenge to sell
to doctors satisfied with Plavix,” he added."

I am starting to think that if clinicians prescribe a medication that turns out to be harmful on a global scale, that they too should be named in the lawsuits against the drug companies. Based on the article however, many doctor's are avoiding the medicine and that is what has Lilly and investors worried.

No comments: