Sunday, August 23, 2009

Odds and Ends

My final thoughts for the week:

Fiber: Interestingly, I learned one thing new about the positive effects of fiber in the diet. I have long suggested my cereal bars as a great source of tasty fiber with the message that fiber can remove bad cholesterol, keep blood sugar level, help you to feel full and keep your elimination system working well. It can also help to keep the good bacteria working in your gut. The last one is what I learned today. I read an article about food companies adding fiber to everything, which you know I abhor and in that article it was said that the companies are adding fiber because consumers do not like it when things such as sugar and salt are taken OUT of their foods. It was also said that the price will be steep and the outcome will be poor. Many of the new products will have more sugar and fat than is healthy, to go with the fiber. For goodness sakes. Natural sources are best and lowest in calories, remember that. And here again is the cereal bar recipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEZkK_Z3deQ&feature=channel_page

Diet: Just a note. My friend and I were talking about my passion on wellness and diet earlier this week. In that conversation we talked about the misconception that some people have on the word diet. You see “diet” is a noun not a verb. It is NOT something that you do and if it is, you are bound to be disappointed, but the overall picture of what you consume. For example, my diet consists of lean non meat proteins, many vegetables, fiber and fruit with some monounsaturated fats. That is what I eat on a regular basis. Your diet is the food that you eat not that you don’t eat!

Exercise: On my mind this week because I seem to be in a bad place in that regard. My preferred form of exercise is mostly inaccessible and my second and third choices are themselves causing me some difficulty or pain. Even so I have to remember what I have said in one of my side bars, which is, “I will not wallow, I will not whine and I will not succumb.” So each day I find a way to exercise and I keep my chin up and I know that I will find a good place again.

Tobacco: Early this week I mentioned that I was seeking the source of the nicotine found in medications that people use to quit smoking, or nicotine replacement therapy. I received an answer from GSK, but now I realize that I didn’t ask the necessary follow up question. Does the nicotine comes from tobacco that cured or uncured? Curing is what creates tobacco specific nitrosamines which are linked to cancer. It is an important question. The same question about nicotine sourcing needs to be asked of the electronic cigarette makers.

Sunscreen: This time at the beach I heard a parent say the right thing so that is worth noting as well. A dad came to the beach with his two children, an umbrella, a chair or two, some sand tools and buckets and began to unload. He said to his children, approximately aged 5 and 2, “Ok, the very first thing we have to do is put on your sunscreen.” And he proceeded to slather them up!

Me and Julia: And lastly, I saw the movie Julie & Julia this weekend and really enjoyed it. I will say this about me and Julia Child. We both love food, love to eat and love to cook. We both love a place. She loved Paris and I love Sarasota. So she thinks butter is divine and I eschew it in all recipes. She was tall and big boned while I am short and a bit dainty. Otherwise, really, we could be twins!

2 comments:

Nil Zed said...

We put sunblock on arms and faces as part of our morning routines and before going to the playground. If my 27 month old sun sees me come downstairs in my bathing suit, he runs for the 'losh', or lotion as he calls sunblock. He knows the swim diaper is followed by a thorough sunblock app, followed by a bit of drying time*, then his swim suit, which includes a shirt. Then, finally, we can walk to the 'poo'. Yes, we are lacking a crucial final consonant there!

My daughters think I'm OCD about this, but I tell them to LOOK at my raised in Florida, summers at the lakehouse arms. With the various funny spots. and remind them that my youngest brothers, both blonde like my son, have both had questionable things removed from the skin on their noses. Noses which were mostly red-skinned, blistered or peeled raw from the summer sun every year. Sunblock wasn't around then, now it is. Use it just like seatbelts with children, so often they can't imagine not using it.

If you/your child are outside everyday, then sunblock should need to be on your weekly shopping list. Even a largish bottle or tube of sunblock should be emptied at least bi-weekly if not sooner if you are applying it often enough and generously enough.

deedeeski said...

You are to be commended!