Sunday, August 30, 2009

Odds and Ends

Another week has ended..for me time flies, for others it drags... I understand this.

I have a few scraps of paper here with jotted down notes. The first few regard calories, specifically our discretionary ones.

One of my dear friends sent me part of the package from some disposable plastic containers she recently purchased. Why? Because the label says that they are perfect for 100 calorie snacks. My friend wondered if people might think that the container could be filled with anything and have 100 calories.. Good call. And wow, that would be very cool!

My mom mentioned that her yogurt had 11g of sugar and asked me if that was a lot because it sure seemed like a lot but it only had 80 calories. First, YEAH Mom for reading your labels! Second, well, I told her that I try to have no more than 8g of sugar per serving in any product when I can, but that it didn't seem awfully bad. I looked at my yogurt just now and I have two. One is a Dannon brand and the other, Walmart, both are the low calorie kind. And well, I know at least one of my friends will think I make this stuff up, but seriously, the Walmart value brand only has 8g of sugar per serving and the national Dannon one has 11g. The one my Mom was talking about was the Publix Supermarket brand. Oh and I would add that we are allowed about 24gs a day for the 6 teaspoon of sugar recomendation, so Mom has three left after her yogurt!

Another friend, they all send me bits of info so I have something to do in the evenings, told me about this new cream she bought for her face. It has shiitake mushrooms in it. I thought you were supposed to eat them, but of course, there is soap with yogurt in it so what do I know. My friend bought the facial cream because it was recommended by two older women who looked phenomenal and swore by it. Just a quick search and I can see that there are properties in the mushrooms that may be beneficial but I did not uncover any good research studies to prove the hypothesis.

Now, here is a real humdinger.
Be fit or be a frog.. a real issue to ponder. Let me tell you what happened...It involved two completely different events.

Earlier in the week, during one of my tobacco education classes, a student challenged the notion that quitting tobacco and possibly warding off deadly diseases was a smart thing to do. At best, he implied it was unneccesary and at worst, futile... because you cannot change your destiny. The student noted God in the conversation so I refrained from much of a challenge. I thought about it though, for days. I meant to say back to him, but did not, sure, but what if we are destined for some great physical challenge.. shouldn't we live our life so that we could meet it, just in case.

I firmly believe that we should take care of ourselves in case we don't get hit by that car or shot by the jealous lover at age 40 or 50 but instead live until we are 90, because living that long without physical and mental faculties intact is just NOT pretty.

Then the second thing happened.
Last night I caught my cat apparently in the act of getting a frog into the house. The time before I just found the dead frog. So in through the cat "window" came the cat and frog. The frog hopped across my bed and my cat chased after with intent to kill. I scolded the cat and wondered how in the world to catch a frog. Ah plastic ware.. I got a container and returned to the bedroom. Cat and frog were in the closet at this point, I trapped the frog, yelled at the cat again and then went back to the kitchen. How to pick it up??? I returned with a plate. Cat still guarding trapped frog. It was actually easy. I scooted the plate under and lifted all taking the frog out my front door. And away he hopped, headed towards the stairs and a nice tropical courtyard.

This morning I walked to my car, and there on the pavement was a sprawled flat dead frog. Surely it was NOT the same frog. But if it was, well, you can't change destiny and that just stinks.

No comments: