Saturday, August 29, 2009

Samples that Shouldn't Be

My post for this Saturday evening or Sunday morning will be brief. I am disillusioned once again, though I should not be because I KNOW, that is why I write the blog, so that I can let YOU know…

I am signed up for regular prescription, medical device and other such warnings from the FDA. Most of the medicines or equipment that I receive alerts on do not effect a significant part of the population and rarely do they directly effect me (not since Vioxx!).

I receive notices in my email when an existing medicine receives a black box warning or a label change and when a medicine is contaminated. Recently I have received some alerts about IV tubes and diabetic strips that were irregular. And most recently I received a notice about several products that were being marketed and sold illegally. I read the alert and therefore my brain stored it somewhere, but I did not expect it to matter to me and I did not say anything to you guys.

The alert was regarding various companies that are selling topical ointments, sprays or creams that have ibuprofen in them. They may also have other ingredients, like herbal or supplement products. The companies are getting letters from the FDA because ibuprofen is a medicine. One cannot just add it to things and sell it and not have FDA approval for safety and efficacy.

I read it and moved on. Then on Wednesday of this week, my physical therapist suggested that I take some of this sample medicine home, Ibunex was the name. She gave me two samples and a brochure. I read the brochure and I said to her, this is ringing some kind of bell in my head. I thought at first that it was undeclared ingredients or something. I came home and re read the alert and this was exactly one of the products that was being recalled. The physical therapy office had a sign up offering two free samples if you bought a bottle of the spray.

So just like drug companies, these lesser companies sway health care professionals including mine, and my health care professionals were likely selling the medicine/supplement to make a profit. I emailed the alert to them the next day. If the product is still on the counter Monday, we will have an issue.

BTW, the PT office also had a sassy chair or whatever you call those godforsaken motorized scooters in the lobby with a big sign on it regarding how they could help you buy one.. just so disillusioned am I.

No comments: