Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pandemic?

I know it is the first day of the New Year, or the second, depending on when you read this, but you do not need me to talk about resolutions and trends and all that jazz because everyone else is. Let me just stick to what I do – blog about news and research.

A recent announcement in the press regarding a conference that begins January 4th caught my eye not for the topic, obesity related illnesses, but for the who and where of it. It is an international conference that is being held in the UAE. That would be the United Arab Emeritus at Oasis City. There are several topics on the agenda, but a good portion is being set aside to talk about the growth of obesity related diabetes cases in the Middle East and Asia.

Okay, so I do have a projection for the next decade. The epidemic of lifestyle related illness that has plagued Western countries for some time will now expand and soon overtake all countries. It has only been a few weeks since I blogged about the concern of obesity cases in some African countries – so we have North America, Europe, Africa and now the Middle East and Asia.

You can be sure that what has changed in all of these places is the abundance of cheap fast foods and the introduction of technology that makes physical activity less something that happens naturally and more of something people have to make happen. Now we in America know all about the obstacles to getting adequate exercise!

Because I keep hearing these Nutra System D commercials, which I continue to abhor, I can’t help but think – hey let’s just send this “clinically TESTED” product to the UAE and let them distribute it to their peeps. Isn’t the UAE one of the richest areas in that region? They can afford it then.

Or maybe they could sponsor Weight Watchers programs - which actually DO work.

Just some thoughts….

No comments: