Saturday, April 10, 2010

Don't Be a Kirstie

Or an Oprah for that matter. I first remember Ms. Alley from the TV miniseries, North and South. I was struck by her eyes and thought to myself that she was a beautiful woman. She continued to impress me with her acting and her comedic skills for many years, though I watched in dismay as the tabloids presented the other side of Kirstie Alley. I have watched her struggle with her weight and lose. I have no doubt that both she and Ms. Winfrey struggle with inner demons. In fact, I see them as being battered by them - maybe more so for Kirstie. I know those demons by name - which stokes my empathy even more. What is far worse however, is that the media exploits her. I think she is currently "staring" in her second weight loss show. No that is wrong. The first was the commercials for a diet food/program. Now she has a show. I do not want you to be a Kirstie. Diets and celebrity workouts will NOT change a person any longer than they are able to follow them (which is usually only when the cameras are rolling and the person is being paid). Never have these women taken something away from the "plan of the month" that has changed their lifestyles - and thus their health. Whatever battle that Kirstie has - it is deep and destructive and not going to be solved by a "diet." Her health however, will be adversely affected by these gimmicks and her pride, oh my, I cannot bear it for her. Do not be a Kirstie -

Everywhere I go; work, gym, running with friends - I explain Volumetrics - it is a way to eat the most healthy foods, in abundance, but not in caloric density. The video below is made for my YouTube channel, but I have not posted it yet. So enjoy the premiere. BTW, Volumetrics is a concept and there are no foods or things to buy. The idea comes from a college professor and no one pays me a cent to promote it. (if you are an email subscriber, you will have to click on the link at the bottom of your email to access the video on the blog website)


2 comments:

Rachel Dirito said...

hi dee-
do you own her book "the volumetrics eating plan?" if so, let me know what you think about it. i am thinking about buying it.

hope you are well!!

deedeeski said...

Hello! All is well, thank you for asking. In 2002 or so, I read both of B. Rolls books though I checked them out of the library. I have since contacted her by email to see if she had educational materials to share. She did not. I told her about my videos, etc - she encouraged me to continue, which to me felt like an OK to go forth and volumetric - ize the world!! I read the books for the concept - they have recipes too - but you know ME, gotta do it my own way!