Sunday, April 25, 2010

Odds and Ends

Tobacco News - First quarter results were released this week for both Phillip Morris and Reynolds American. In spite of a national tobacco tax increase last year and a nearly universal state tax increase that followed - both companies are reporting profits. According to a WSJ piece, PM made over a billion in profit from last year and Reynolds, the second biggest of the two, made about 82 million. At the same time, sales of smokeless tobacco products are showing an increase while cigarette sales are down, but less than one percent. Tobacco control experts continue to argue on whether or not smokeless tobacco, including the new non traditional Orbs, Strips and Sticks, have a place as reduced harm products.

NOP- This stands for National Organic Program. If you live in the USA where labeling of organic products is a little less strict than in some other countries, I encourage you to look for the words USDA /Organic on the product, if you are choosing to buy organic. At this time, there is not substantial evidence to support that organic foods provide a health benefit over non organic, though some produce have been deemed to be the type of food that is worth the extra cost.

Green - If the organic standard is lax, the eco friendly one is almost non existent. Currently the Federal Trade Commission is evaluating some companies for labeling that seems to imply environmentally safe or friendly products which aren't There are also some law suits pending over misleading advertising on products. Stay tuned for more - or research the company before you spend the extra dollar.

Drug Trials - I believe that I have shared here that drugs that are sold in the USA must first be approved by the FDA which can occur after a certain number of drug trial PHASES. Phase 1 involves testing the drug on generally healthy people to see if it is tolerated. Phase 2 and 3 are used for efficacy, dosing and more intense side effect evaluation. Though I had told you that drugs can only be advertised and marketed for that which was approved, I did not realize that the studies that provide new indications are Phase 4 trials. An example of a drug that went through a Phase 4 study is wellbutrin or buproprion. This is an anti depressant that is also sold as Zyban to treat tobacco dependence.

French Fries - I usually talk with my Aunt Lyna on the weekend. She is my father's only living first degree relative (he isn't living either). I think I said that right. My dad used to call her every Sunday. Now I think our talking together helps us to both feel close to him and to each other. My Aunt is nearly 85 years old and the opposite of my 81 mother who continues to waitress five days a week. My aunt is one of the frail elderly. She is in significant pain from rheumatoid arthritis, is a breast cancer survivor, has osteoporosis, takes more pills that I can count and is a recent widow. She does still live independently however and meets all her own needs, including transpiration and shopping. Oh, she is in CT and I am in FL. She may weigh 110 pounds. When I called her today, she said her dinner was almost ready. I asked what she was having and she said, slowly - w/ martini induced speech ( :)) Lamb chop..... Asparagus.... French Fries. I laughed out loud. She said, " I knew you would laugh." I am sure they are baked fries, but you know what? If anyone gets to eat french fries, it is my Aunt Lyna.

good night - hope your week starts well...

No comments: