Saturday, April 24, 2010

Who Knew? (omega 3)

In previous posts I have talked about the proven and suspected benefits of 0mega-3 fatty acids. I have also noted the best sources for this great anti inflammatory substance – namely fatty fish and fish oil supplements. At the same time, I have tried to steer you away from processed foods that say they have omega- 3s in them – foods that have been fortified. I tell you this because the amount in the more expensive product is in milligrams and the amount that improves health is in grams.

Meanwhile, I have come across a grain/legume that is one of the few plant based sources of ALA (the right kind of omega 3) that does provide benefits similar to marine derived omega-3s. I had not heard of this before I saw a little note on it in a Runner’s World article and then – after fact checking through the website of Dr. Andrew Weil – I realized I had heard of it. I am referring to chia seeds – as in the “ch ch ch chia” pet!

You may have heard of flax seed or flax seed oil – I had even tried some for a while, but the benefits to health were much lower than from fish oil so I switched to that – until deciding that my eating fish once or twice a week was okay – as I do not have any risk factors for heart disease. Oh – now that was tangential. Anyways, flax seed seemed to be all the range a few years back. What many people did not know is that unless it was ground flax seed, the omega three benefit, though slight anyway, was nonexistent in the whole seeds.

Chia seeds are superior for two reasons then. They have more antioxidant value and have it whether they are ground or not. They also swell and make a little gel when they get wet, in a dish or in your stomach. For this reason, they are great to stabilize glucose levels which keep you feeling full longer and prevent blood sugar spikes. They are sort of an anti Twinkie. Both flax seeds and chia seeds are high in fiber – something salmon lacks! Chia seeds are similar to peanuts with regard to calorie content – a little less per ounce than the flax seed. If you do decide to add them to your yogurt, for instance, just remember that you are adding (good) calories as well and if you do not want to gain weight, you will have to subtract those calories somewhere else. In fact, you can read all the nutrient info at the USDA website – as you will see, 1 oz has about 140 calories.

From Dr. Weill I learned another interesting thing – which goes back to the first part of this blog. Remember that some foods, like eggs and other non marine foods, have label claims of omega 3 fatty acids – I wasn’t exactly sure how the foods became rich in omega 3s but assumed some fortification was taking place like our flour and cereals are embellished. I do think that I had also been aware on some level that animals are given supplements. Dr. Weill notes that chickens are fed CHIA SEEDS and thus make eggs with omega 3s, oand cows are fed the seeds and TADA 0mega 3 milk. Food manufacturers also add the seeds to their already made products. Well – I would bet that it would be cheaper to just add them yourself! My suggestion is to add them yourself.

I wonder if chickens who are fed chia seeds feel fuller and have good blood sugar control.

No comments: