Sunday, April 11, 2010

Odds and Ends

Instead of listening to the news or radio at the moment, I have the windows open and can hear the sound of the rain. It is cathartic - it calms my soul - not that my soul is agitated, but I think you understand. So another week ends and a few notes have been set aside for comment.

SCAMS: GRRRR you can just imagine me pulling my hair out okay?! I was listening to Pandora today (free music over the Internet) and an ad played for an "all natural" weight loss program that guarantees 1-2 pounds a day of healthy weight loss. Just because the company uses a supplement that is an herbal does not mean it is safe and nor does it mean it is healthy. At the website they clarify that the 1-2 pounds per day is just in the first week - oh really - as in WATER weight. It is 70$ for fifteen days, but experts recommend at least thirty days. It is a supplement combined with a very low calorie diet (you think?). Supplements are not regulated by the FDA and may have any amount of the active ingredient claimed along with others that could be harmful If you buy this product, I WILL know and you will be in big trouble. Just refer to yesterday's blog and change your life in a way this actually IS safe.

Elevators: I work in a complex that is two stories. All the offices open outside. There is an elevator in the middle of the complex and stairs at either end. The whole thing is slightly larger than a football field. I only take the elevator if I have a roller cart with equipment, etc. I paid attention to the people getting on the elevator the other day - remember, what matters to us is what gets our attention. I only saw overweight people getting on. A flight a day can make a difference - if we stop navigating stairs, we are going to be unable to navigate stairs as we age. Old age is no place for the frail.

Drink Up: I didn't know that there was an employer who allowed drinking on the job until an uproar crossed The Continents because the employer was limiting it! In Denmark, the brewer, Carlsberg has long allowed employees to drink on the job from conveniently placed coolers- as long as they did not become inebriated. (drivers have the special ignition locks to prevent drunk driving). I am not sure why the company is trying to curtail the drinking to only 1-3 beers during lunch breaks, but the employees WALKED off the job in protest. Too damn funny. I was a bartender once and a waitress in a diner that served alcohol - goodness no, we could not drink a drop on the job, but I really think that was more about inventory and cost than anything else.

Behavior Placement: How very cool an idea this is and I have to say NBC-U is the group making it happen. Most of us have heard of product placement which involves having an actress or TV personality "subtly" drink, wear, or use a brand name product on camera. But behavior placement is having that same person DO something that we want others to do. In the past and in the negative - the behavior was tobacco use. Now, we have people recycling, exercising, driving hybrids. I learned from reading a WSJ article that NBCU makes this happen on its shows at least twice a year - THAT will get them my loyalty - I am impressed.

Talking Bout My Generation: Heard on the news this week - one fifth of the people born in the 1960s are overweight or obese. Also heard was that in my generation, those currently in their 40s, the weight stabilizes but in younger generations it seems that the weight continues to increase across their lifespan and thus the concern that today's children, with very early cases of diabetes and hypertension, will be the first to reverse the trend in our increasing life expectancy. I do want to take this time to remind of the other problem which is the great number of people who are simply dieing longer as opposed to living longer. Think about it.

Races: I ran another short distance race this morning. Though it wasn't my fastest 10K (six miler) it was my second fastest and I won a little medal for out running the other 11 women in my age group. The total number of racers was 242 and I finished 118 overall. I mention this in reference to the previous posts on the saga of a failed marathon and the new goals I embraced. Oh , if you want to see the map of the race, it is under my links with the heading My Garmin Activity.

POOP! Oh yes, my friends, the very best for last. I hope you have not left the blog just yet. This is the best thing I heard all week. I arrived home from work one evening, and a man and woman were having a conversation across the way, in the grass. They each had a dog on a leash. As the man was walking away, the woman said, "Oh - someone left their poop." Seriously? My "greatest generation" Dad, he never picked up our dog's poop - I wonder what he would think of this - crating and poop scooping - what has the world come to?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Leaving poop behind" IS a BIG deal! And I think the issue IS about health. In my condo community, I'm dealing with a young neighbor who opens his front door to let his (unleashed) puppy "do his business" in the small natural area to one side of his front door ... in other words, right beside the steps and door I and my guests use, and right outside the kitchen window where I eat my meals. As the summer heats up, just imagine the stench and unhealthy "ick" from all this unscooped poop. Needless to say, that's why it's illegal in my city to leave behind your dog's poop. So I feel for the woman who had to point out to her uncaring companion that someone need to scoop the poop! LA

deedeeski said...

everything you said is TRUE, except, the companion wasn't unconcerned - they were both good dog owners - it was just that the lady said it as an afterthought as he was walking away - Even so and Still - you gotta admit that hearing a voice floating by, "Oh, someone left their poop." Is still darn funny!