Monday, February 7, 2011

Coming Soon

Thought I would drop in and let you know some of the things I have been up to which will likely inform what I blog about in the next weeks.

I have been reviewing several different studies on the implementation and outcomes of the CATCH childhood obesity prevention program.  It is a school centered program with some home and community activities.  The current full name (it changed from the original trial in the 1990s) is Coordinated Approach to Child Health.  I would like to find funding to launch this program in NC (at one school first!) - so I have been spending all of my time that I am not doing coursework, engaging with community partners or putting in hours for my assistantship, on CATCH.

For my assistantship (one of them) I have been reading and summarizing many articles on bicycle helmet use in children and adults, globally.  There is a good deal to share about that.

In school, I am learning more about research methods and specifically looking into validating survey instruments.  I have created the sketch of one for my future work with adults.  For the CATCH program they already have reliable, valid measurement tools.  My coursework also includes statistics and feminist theory/methds.

For fitness, I have kept up my two days a week of full body weight training, some kind of cardio work most days, but not too much running.  Today I took a pilates class on campus, as opposed to the Netflix videos.  GEEZ Louissa - it was hard.

Okay - back to work :)

No comments: