Sunday, February 13, 2011

Odds and Ends

 I have four O&Es for you this week.

Salad at the LOOP:  When my friend suggested we go to the Loop for lunch, I reviewed their menu on line.  I ended up ordering my own way, grilled fish on a side salad, but I noticed that they were providing calorie information for a few of their items.

Peroxide:  My dear friend who works as a health insurance coder and thus knows many physicians, was told by 3 of them in separate encounters that hydrogen peroxide was poison, or toxic, or just should not be used because of its effect on the skin.  She was also told not to use Neosporin, then told to use Bacitracin, until finally, she was told to just use Vaseline.  She had a cut on her forehead from her cat.  So I wanted to share the Hydrogen Peroxide bit with you as I have always used it to cleanse wounds.   I did a quick search of reputable web sites and could not find this same concern however.  In fact, WebMD still suggests that it be used as an antiseptic and mouth rinse, BUT as my friend had heard from at least one of her docs, it does need to be diluted with three parts water.

10 Minutes:  Remember, if you are not exercising yet, or if you are coming back from an injury, 10 minutes a few times a day may be better on your mind and body than 30 or more minutes at once.  Most often, the worst thing to do is nothing.

Ice cream:  Not long ago I blogged about B12 and how I was searching for it in the products I already consume while considering whether or not I needed to take a supplement.  Remember?  Well, you can read it again right here.  Funny thing - I decided at the time to buy the more expensive milk because it had a good amount of B12 instead of a supplement.  I noticed this week that the cheap ice cream I have always bought ALSO has B12.  Very cool. 

2 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

I noticed in one of your videos you use sugar free gelatin and fat free whipped topping. Thought you might like my version of chocolate covered cherries.

I use the cherry sugar free gelatin, topped with a generous blob of ff topping, then a smallish drizzle of Magic Shell ice cream topping. I set this in the freezer for a couple of minutes for the shell to harden. Then I top it with a couple of maraschino cherries.

It really does taste like chocolate covered cherries.

A person could lighten it up with a different type of chocolate but I'm partial to coconut oil which I read is similar to olive oil in that it is a medium chain fatty acid. I do try to limit my intake of sat fat, but make an exception for coconut oil since it is a fruit/plant and contains no cholesterol. But like any fat it is high in calories, so I am careful with it.

I'm getting lots of good ideas from your videos, but they do make me hungry. LOL.

deedeeski said...

You are cracking me up! I like your idea and you are right, I would try my Waldens Chocolate :)