Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Decorum

Let me just take this moment to tell you what happened today - not the first time, won't be the last .. but I always marvel at the audacity though most often I am not offended by it.  Today I was not offended, especially as the comments/questions were from a community group colleague.  It went like this:

"You are so little, what size do you wear a zero or ...?  How much do you weigh?  Do you weigh 90 pounds?"

Sigh - I said, "yes, something like that," and "95 I think with rocks in my pockets." 
Then she said, "wow, and you look so healthy!"  and I said, "Well, I am real healthy." 

I know - barely 30% of the population is at a normal weight (with MUCH variation based on gender, age, race and SES) so I am unusual.  But what if the conversation went like this..

WOW - You are So big?  What size do you wear?  Are you like a XXXl?  Do you weigh 300 pounds?  Hmm but you look healthy.. or maybe, but you look so ill? 

Boundaries people - they do a body good - oh wait, that's milk... well....

1 comment:

Dinahsoar said...

You are so right. My daughter has always been very thin. Over the years she has expressed her personal frustration at people commenting on her size, even asking if she is bulimic or anorexic--she's neither. She points out that were she to comment on an overweight person's size it would be considered rude and insensitive.

My daughter's perspective and yours is one most in our society don't have because we are mostly overweight.

BTW--I tried your 'not cheeseburger sald', though with a turkey burger, and 'wow'...loved it. So did my husband. It will be on the weekly supper menu rotation. Who needs the bun?

We do eat and enjoy veggie burgers too...in fact we eat a lot of meatless meals.

Still watching and enjoying your videos.

I have a blog--very small following, maybe 6 people read it, but I did post about the not cheeseburger salad and put up the links to your sites...here's the direct link to the post if you're interested:

http://dinahsoar.blogspot.com/2011/02/cheeseburger-salad-dynamite-dish.html