Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Unneccessary Medical Imaging or Scans

I am a strong believer in the physical exam, medical history and clinician insight in regards to diagnosis.  I often ask a doctor how a "film" is going to change the treatment recommendation and more often than not, I choose, I choose because I am in charge of me, not to have a scan.  [this does not mean that I categorically dismiss them but that I make an informed decision about their use].

The article that I am linking you to now is about a survey that collected responses from physicians that order these tests .  It supports previous research that suggests that many CTs, MRIs etc are ordered not to improve outcomes but to prevent law suits.  And don't go blaming just the doctors - some people are the opposite of me and demand to be scanned.

Trust me - cost is not the only issue.  Discomfort and in some cases radiation are additional concerns.

3 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

I often question my doctors, having been misdiagnosed when I in fact had breast cancer. Many of them don't like it one bit. But I don't care. Had I not been proactive I wouldn't be here today, soon to be 20 years after. That, and the grace of God, are why I am alive still.

Now my battle with them is to stay off of statins. They prefer to prescribe a pill instead of educating people how to eat and live. Of course they can't teach what they don't know and when it comes to nutrition apparently many know little.

Sadly though most in our society would rather pop a pill than give up their preferred foods.

Thanks for giving me a tool to use--from now on I will ask the same when I am told I need a scan. I've had far too many already--not my choice--and now I hear the radiation exposure is worse than thought.

One of my fears is being labeled a difficult patient and finding myself unable to get real help when/if needed. They often don't like people who think and/or don't conform as a general rule.

Mind you, I'm not anti-doctors...I've had some very good ones and appreciate them.

Dinahsoar said...

Sorry for my long/multiple comments, but glanced at the link and wanted to say this couldn't have come at a better time for me.

I've been having a knee issue and purposefully did not mention it to my doctor knowing the first thing he would do is order a scan. My health coach (insurance provides this) says I need some therapy to strengthen the knee, based on the symptoms, and I agree and would love that.

I see my doc soon and will bring up the knee and when he utters the words scan I will ask your question--it will be interesting to hear his response.

deedeeski said...

We are of like mind on many things. I would absolutely be sagacious regarding the knee - so much of the time I have heard of surgery making it worse. I am blessed with good knees, but often have hamstring issues - I found an AWESOME doctor in Greensboro NC who did NOT order any scans :)