Monday, April 25, 2011

Cross Training Pays Off

With some trepidation, I took my bicycle out from its little space in the entryway of my apartment building today.  I had not ridden my bike for at least five months.  Prior to November, I had been riding  back and forth to campus several days a week. I cannot tolerate cold.  Even today in the 70* weather my eyes teared and my nose ran!

Still it was a beautiful day and as I was not going to run, the thought of riding was appealing.  I first took the bike for a little test spin - recalling that bad fall last September and my difficulty stopping and starting on hills - intersections and the whole business of CARS on narrow streets. 

I  rode about a mile or so on near flat roads and stopped and started at several places just to prove to myself that I had not forgotten everything I learned (the hard way) last year.  It went okay so I decided that I would ride the bike to campus today (where I was going for my twice weekly weight lifting session). 

I did worry a great deal about my ability to manage the  steep hills that I would face on the way. 

There were a couple of times last fall that I did not think I could make it up one in particular.  I was considering going to campus on the hilly road with less traffic and coming home on the busier, flatter road.  The busier road actually has bike lanes. 

But - instead - I did the 2.5 mile hilly road both ways and though my quads did burn, I did not at any time feel like I would not make it.  So,  the months of yoga, pilates and gym work helped me retain - even build - my core and lower body strength. 

I wore my helmet of course :)

No comments: