Thursday, May 20, 2010

Healthy Weight Committment Foundation

In RE: yesterday's post: I guess my photo was not so clear - the object on the ground - i.e. "litter" was one of the new energy efficient light bulbs - Note to self - they help the environment when placed in lamps NOT the landscape.

RE: Today's post and title:
The motive may not be the purest, but in the end, with one possible exception, it doesn't matter. I am referring to an 80 member food industry coalition that has formed in response to growing restrictions or suggestions of restriction with regard to the content of our foods and point of purchase nutrition information.


The industry group is called the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation. The goal of this group is to reduce the amount of calories in their products by 1.5 trillion. Yes, that is right - trillions of calories. They hope to accomplish this by the year 2015 with substantial progress towards that goal by 2012. The Foundation includes a few of my favorite companies - favorite in that I often purchase their products - General Mills, Kraft, Kellogg, Coca-Cola, Red Lobster and PepsiCo.


Our national obesity reduction program is the Let's Move initiative begun and managed by Michelle Obama. Many nonprofit groups have joined the first lady's program and the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation has made a pledge to these groups to contribute by reducing the amount of calories in their foods. The Let's Move program calls from calorie reduction - through less fat and sugar, but also encourages an increase in nutrients.


I was very happy to see in the press release and on its website, the involvement of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. They will be responsible for evaluation of the program. Please read their statement here.


I do have a concern - and I addressed it with RWJF through email. I will share that with you here (i tried to cut and paste but it did not work this time) - my concern is that the industry will take its current approach and apply on a grand scale. That is take out sugar, add water, reduce the serving size and increase the price.


I have been in contact with Kathryn Thomas, a senior communications officer with RWJF and shared my concerns. She did respond with the evaluation goal, but it does not specifically address accessibility. I have asked that she forward my concern to program planners. I just feel that someone needs to say it because this could be a phenomenal intervention that in the ends fails to meet its goals because of that one detail.


Remember socially possible interventions are what we need now.

1 comment:

Day Old Coffee said...

I really hope they take your suggestion to heart - it would be so disappointing if all they did was shuffle things around to make the numbers look good.