Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ridiculously Excessive

USA Today published a story that emphasizes an ongoing problem that we have with eating out in this country. For some reason – especially at restaurant chains- certain dishes have an inordinate amount of fat, sodium and calories. The extra comes from cooking butters, oils and sauces in such quantities as to be ridiculous and unrelated to flavor enhancement.

This type of information could be used to support the legislation for point of ordering or point of purchase - nutrient information. I use information like this to inform my decisions on where to eat out and how to order when I do. I offer the information below to address eating out on my website:

DINING OUT
When eating your meals away from home there are a few things that you can do to keep them low in fat and calories. The main thing to do is stay in control! It is no secret that restaurant foods are served in abundance with excess calories mostly from fats and sugars. The American Heart Association is one of many organizations that offer advice on how to dine out and stay healthy. Weight Watchers is another place where you can get trusted advice.
See online menus before you choose a restaurant or before you go to a restaurant someone else has chosen. If you already know what you are going to order you can overcome some of the temptations.


Try these Tricks – Ask for your food to be cooked without oil, fat or butter. Not so brave? Ask that it be cooked with very little OFB. Or ask for the sauce to be served on the side. Ask for your fish to be broiled or grilled. If your food comes soaked in oil, dab it with a napkin and remove 100s of extra calories. My favorite meals to order out are grilled tilapia or mahi mahi and steamed vegetables. I always tell them not to add OFB. When at an Asian restaurant I ask for shrimp with mixed vegetables steamed with sauce on the side. Often my meal comes in a bamboo basket and is the envy of everyone at the table! I also will order grilled or broiled fish or shrimp on a bed of lettuce and tomato. (make sure you ask what comes on the salad – leave the cheese and croutons behind) A great dressing is balsamic vinegar – not a vinaigrette, just the vinegar. Or bring along your own Walden’s Farms near calorie free dressing.

Be assertive (it’s your money and your body!) – but be nice. I always tell the server that I have special dietary issues, or allergies and it is OKAY if the chef can’t do what I want, I have a plan B. I would rather they say they cannot do it, then to serve me something swimming in butter. I also tip generously when my meal is as I requested.
_______________________________________
With regard to the USA Today article, they reported on the Center for Science in the Public Interest's report on extremes in eating. Here is the link to the actual report from CSPI – it really is enough to make you sick – really sick.

No comments: