Sunday, May 9, 2010

Odds and Ends

That's right - it is the week's end and time to keep it simple and brief.
Frequency vs Intensity vs Duration: A very small study but none the less an interesting one - showed that the amount of days one exercised per week were more indicative of fat loss than either the intensity of the session or the length of it. Upshot - more often is more productive.(lead author is FB Willis)

Dining Out: Took Mom to movie and dinner over the weekend and I wanted to show you the beautiful salmon and steamed veggies - so you get the idea in pictures. Remember - it is YOUR money so order what you are going to feel good about eating. The dish I had was supposed to be glazed and oiled - I opted for neither.


Radioactive water: Apparently one of our nuclear power plants has a leak and some radioactive water has escaped. It is in a water supply and the company stated that it was nothing to worry about at this time. So here is my thought, "I understand that many corporations consider the average public to be uneducated - but seriously, do they think we are all STUPID?" When can nuclear waste ever NOT be harmful.

Ads: I have to tell you that all these commercials for weight loss, aging prevention, physical performance and sexual enhancement are just making me tired. If the products worked the way that the ads said that they do and if there were no risks what so ever - don't you think that a legitimate health organization would be the one telling you so.

Obese Children: I had an hour to myself on Anna Maria Island this morning after my run. I took a little stroll and saw a boy walking to the shore - he may have been between 8 and 10 years old. He had breasts bigger than mine and rolls of fat. It wrenched my heart to see this. He is the example when our health experts tell us that our children will be on medications for diabetes and hypertension in their twenties and will die at younger ages than their parents. It is Mother's Day - let us do some mothering - perhaps Michelle Obama should be the role model. [you can see a map of my run by clicking on the garmin link on the left]

Wind Farm: No the Nantucket mill isn't breaking ground - but a European company has already indicated that it is going to purchase x amount of kilowatts of energy for the UK. What? No offense to the UK - I have Scottish genes! but don't we need to use our alternative energy here first!

No comments: