Sunday, May 16, 2010

Odds and Ends

Parental Behavior - I really am not sure what I observed this morning but it appeared to be two tween aged (12ish) girls applying sunscreen to their pale skin bodies. I was at the beautiful tobacco free Lido Beach in Sarasota Florida. The girls were standing and their mother was lounging in a chair not far from them. She started carrying on in such a way that it disturbed my reading so I looked up and "attended" to the situation. The mother was yelling for them to move away from her because they were getting the sunblock on HER. Now it could have been tanning oil, but I do not think so. I hope that the message regarding sunburns and cancer has reached the children as they were diligent in their sunscreen application. I have to say that the Mother - who really carried on about it - looked the fool, not the children.

Parental Oversight - I noticed another positive thing which involved a protective factor but this time, the protective factor was absent and it has to be the Mother's FAULT. I observed a woman pushing a stroller, canope over the infant, and two young boys (six to eight years old) ahead of them on their bicycles. They had been walking/riding on the sidewalk, but the boys were now at a crosswalk, waiting for the light to change and the stick figure to 'walk.' I was in a car at the stop light. I worried because I have almost been hit a time or two crossing that same side street (running). The boys were NOT wearing helmets.

A Smoker Speaks - Today I was back at my tobacco free beach for an hour or two (wearing sun screen and a hat!) and a lady a few fit in front of me, talking on her cell phone lit up a cigarette. I had to wave at her when she looked over and I said, "Ma'am - this is a tobacco free beach." I said it nicely. She said oh, and told the person on the phone and put out her smoke. (she stubbed it in the sand, but did NOT leave it there) After she got off the phone she asked me about the ordinance etc. I let her know that the rule was actually over a year old but we were only recently able to purchase the signs and set up the ashtrays in the parking lot etc. She said, "Well, okay - it is sort of good, then I won't be smoking while I am at the beach." So again I say to YOU and policy experts - anything we can do to make smoking harder will make quitting easier.

Average Weights - This is something I wanted to get to yesterday when I was speaking of average weights in the USA. The CDC has a FastStats page on body measurements and on that page they offer the average male height, weight and waist circumference and the same for females. I used those numbers to calculate the BMIs of each. To learn more about these and other health related biometrics or measures, click here. Accordingly, a male should have a waist measurement under 40 inches to have less risk of adverse health outcomes and a woman should have one under 35 inches. According to the CDC the average male, who is about five foot nine inches tall has a measurement of 39.7 inches. Way too close to unhealthy to be our AVERAGE. Women fare worse! The average woman, these days, is about five foot four inches tall with a circumference of 37 inches - two inches over. The BMIs come out to OVER 28 for both sexes. Recall that over 25 is overweight and obese is 30 and higher. This is a sad state and must explain why the economics of obesity will be discussed in a prime time CNBC special in a week or two.

Funny You Should Call - What are the chances that a person would dial MY office number by mistake to follow up on her order for the weight loss product Zantrx-3? When she said that she was calling because she ordered a diet pill - before I could stop myself, well, I chose NOT to stop myself, I said, "That is unfortunate." This product markets itself as the next best thing to the outlawed ephedrine products. Here is the disclaimer from the diet product's website, "*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Use in conjunction with any sensible diet and exercise program. Individual results will vary." Indeed.

Oil Spill - Just a note to say that I have grave concern about the environmental effects not only of the oil but of the chemicals being used to break it up. The chemical process appears to consume oxygen and thus creates pockets of ocean without oxygen - oxygen, for many species, including marine life - equals life.

Diet Coke v Diet Mt. Dew - Special for you, friend Jim - there is less than 10 mg difference in caffeine between the two, but Mt Dew is indeed the higher one.

No comments: