Monday, May 10, 2010

that which leads elsewhere

My intention was to inform you about a study conducted by the CDC to be published in the American Cancer Society journal, Cancer. The gist of the study is that the costs for treating cancer that have risen have not been the sole burden of the patient. This is not what we routinely hear in the news. Indeed, I know people who would be adamant in saying that the research is faulty. The report states that there are less out of pocket costs to patients, more coverage by private insurers and CMS, and less money spent on in patient care and high cost drugs. Bear in mind that some newer treatments have been introduced since the study period. What caught my eye in the AP article was that cancer is responsible for 5% of US medical costs. That's all? I wondered what was the disease for which we spent the most money. As I searched for more about this study I also ran across someone else's blog post on the same story and so abandoned my original idea.

Thus this blog post is really about the high cost of treating chronic disease in the USA. Cancer is considered a chronic disease - which is something right there isn't it! A chronic disease is one that is considered incurable and lasting. These include diabetes, hypertension, cancer, heart disease and asthma. Most chronic disease can be prevented through personal action. I found a nice two page primer on this issue published by the CDC and I am sharing that information with you in this post. Accordingly, just short of half the country has at least one chronic disease. Though these disease conditions use the most health care dollars, I did not see a breakdown of the percentages.

I was about to give up - ha ha - like that ever happens- when I googled my way to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality website. There is SO much information there. I could come up with the percentages I sought if it hadn't gotten so late on me. Instead, I am going to link you to one of their tables where they list the disease conditions and break down the expenses by type and amount, i.e. in patient care, drugs, etc. You will see that cancer is first, followed by treatment for traumas, and then the many manifestations of heart disease and the several other chronic disease states.

As a matter of fact, I am going to use my prerogative and make this a TWO PART post because there is a lot to explore on that website.... tune in tomorrow then :)

No comments: