Thursday, December 9, 2010

Energy Consumption

I am going to take a little environmental liberty with my energy in energy out mantra....

As I was driving home from campus one recent evening I oohed and aahed at the holiday lights.  Pretty, I thought. 

I considered the extra energy being used in the decorations, but not too seriously.  It seems a tradition to light up the eaves, doors and yards of America this time every year.  In Winston Salem,NC, they also have the Festival of Lights at Tanglewood Park.  I have never been, but I hear that it is remarkable.

That is when I had my Debbie Downer moment.  Not only are there miles of lights but  miles of idling cars.  Thus people ooh and aah as they sit (not burning calories) and their cars run (burning gas and emitting toxic chemicals).

I propose that we keep the lights, but people should view them either in horse drawn buggies or on foot.  That way people can burn some calories at the time of year when they REALLY need to burn them and we can waste a little energy without adding to the green house gas level ?

Notice - I did not say to kill the lights. 

No comments: