Sunday, December 12, 2010

Odds and Ends

I did generate a list this week, but I am not sure I can make heads or tails of it just now...

Stents and Ethics - The WSJ let me know that a doctor who had gotten in trouble (I'm sorry - barred from practicing medicine in the hospital where he was a cardiologist) for placing too many stents in too many patients (stents are the devices that prop open arteries that have been cleared of that clogging, heart attack inducing plaque that comes (mostly) from a high fat diet) was hired by Abbott Laboratories.  Since they make stents, and he seemed their biggest fan, it makes sense.  This also explains why some consider heart disease an industry.  I should think that the general public would ease up on the steaks and french fries just to put these folks out of business.

Meals a Day - I was a little shocked to read that an Olympic level athlete only ate one meal a day.  I should not have been that surprised as I myself have told people that the total amount of calories in and out is all that really matters at the end of a day.  (you know, people ask how many minutes do I have to exercise to burn fat, should I eat first, etc etc - and the answer is - energy in energy out - for weight - not for performance and health - for optimal response- what and when DOES matter).  "The body doesn't really know what time it is" has been my defense for eating most of my calories at night.  I do.  I think that the methods of this man, whom I read about in a magazine, support a technique I encourage.  Figure out what you like to eat and when you like to eat and then work around it so that you still consume the right amount of calories, HOWEVER, what those calories are can impact your health so think about low fat, low sugar, high fiber and lean proteins as well.

Exercise Variety - A friend and I have this conversation from time to time and I cannot recall whether I have shared it with you - but variety doesn't only mean that you have something to do if you can't do what you love, but it also adds fitness and aesthetically - toning and shape.  There are many people who run marathons once a month who have no definition and really are not athletic because running is the ONLY thing they do.  Lift weights, work your core, watch your intake and do cardio work to have a higher level of fitness and health.

Menthol and SLT - In the news this week - the FDA is considering whether it should (YES) do something about the additive menthol in tobacco.  Menthol is (research suggests) related to higher levels of nicotine dependence and higher rates of lung cancer in persons who smoke menthol cigarettes.  Separately, a lawsuit against US Tobacco was concluded and the jury or judge found the tobacco company responsible for a young mans oral cancer.  He began using smokeless tobacco (SLT) as a thirteen year old in the 1960s or 1970s.  Not all smokeless tobacco products have the same level of Tobacco Specific Nitrosamines, but that was another blog - you can search for it if you like (to the right).

Walmart - HEY!  I went to a different Walmart this week and instead of a McDonald's at the entrance they had a Subway.  Very cool.

The Perils of Middle Class - Another story I read this week (wow, I had time to read a little!) spoke of changes in Africa where many countries are improving economically.  Because the countries are gaining purchasing power, the fast food industry is planning to expand.  It will not be long then before the obesity epidemic hits the continent.  I seriously think it would be a great research study.  We should get a country by country measure of the rates of overweight/obesity - which I think the WHO has on its website and see what happens when the KFC gets there.

Most of my reading this week has been on front of pack labeling and dietary behavior surveys.  I thought that sharing those research articles with you would be easy but at the end of most days my brain is too full to regurgitate - suffice it to say - I am learning a lot and planning my dissertation research.

I am saddened that my NYG didn't get to go to Minn and play today - I hope the game gets played tomorrow and of course, that they win -

No comments: