Sunday, January 2, 2011

Odds and Ends

It hardly feels like a week's end with a new year just begun, but it is and I have a few notes to share. 

Scanners:  I was in the security screening line at the Sarasota airport a few days ago.  This was my first experience flying out of that airport.  As I handed my pass and license to the official who scrutinizes both and scribbles something on the paper, I noticed an odd contraption. It was enclosed, with plastic strips like a restaurant cooler and about the size of a (obsolete?) phone booth.  I asked the serious official, "Is that a full body scanner?"  She replied that it was and I said that I would rather not do that.  She gave me an even more severe look and said that the machine was not yet in use - it would be in a couple of weeks.  Whew - I did feel that my saying comment was seen a red flag but no additional screening awaited me.

Labeling:  As you know, I am a fan of all nutrient labeling as it allows for informed eating.  One food that has heretofore escaped the packaging law is raw meat.  That will change soon and our beef, chicken, pork etc will soon offer information on serving size, calories and fat.  Of note, if a product declares a certain % of leanness, it also has to profess its fatness.  When you see and use this new info, be mindful of two things - the serving size (ounces or grams) and whether that is raw or cooked.  To fully grasp this, I suggest that you weigh your serving a time or two.

Eating Out:  When I started to eat more mindfully and wanted to avoid added uncontrolled calories, eating out was uncomfortable.  I no longer hesitate to tell the server that I want my food without any added fat, oil or butter - and the focus on healthy eating has made my request more common place.  I will order that way regardless and am increasingly tickled to have my dining companions say, "make mine the same."  In a recent Runner's World magazine article, the suggestion for those trying to eat low calorie when dining out was that they order first.  That way the person is not tempted by the high fat orders of their friends.  Thus, if you are not dining with me, perhaps you should take that advice.

But Dr. Oz:  I was getting some loose oat bran from a bin at Earth Fare and a lady near to me was looking for pumpkin seeds.  She said something out loud about this, I do not recall exactly what it was, but I replied that pumpkin was certainly nutritious.  (I was thinking that seeds were good for you, but higher in calories - density wise - and the flesh of pumpkin was more volume friendly).  Anyway, the lady said that someone on the Dr. Oz show said that pumpkin seeds were good for you.  I said, "AH, Dr.Oz - well then, it must be true."  She responded as though I had spoken gospel. Sigh -I liked Dr. Oz before he became such a media star.

Biscoff:  More stories from my travels.  Delta provided me with a snack on my flight.  It was a small package and as such did not have to contain full nutrient information.  It did say what the ingredients were and that I could call to learn more.  I went to the website instead - out of curiosity mostly.  The little cookies had 60 calories each and a significant amount of saturated fat.

White Potatoes:  I continue to read research articles on obesity prevention and initiatives.  Recently I read about a program that was encouraging the purchase of fruits and vegetables for persons receiving WIC (women, infants and children) benefits.  I believe that the women were given WIC credits for the purchase of this fresh produce.  In the fine print it said, "excluding white potatoes."  That is a hint for you.

Short Lists:  Here is another point generated from the same recent Runner's World issue (january 2011).  When you see a list of certain foods that you should add to your diet because they are "good for you," I suggest two considerations.  One - adding nutrient rich foods is a grand idea, but if you add without taking away, your calorie intake will increase and so will your weight. Two- be suspicious or at least discerning.  IF a food or something in a food was found to "reduce inflammation" for example, ask the question, "under what circumstances was that true?"

SLT Products:  Ah, my last airline story.  This past week was the first time I heard the announcement include SLT.  WHAT?  "Smoking and smokeless tobacco products are not allowed on the flight."

No comments: