Sunday, January 16, 2011

Odds and Ends

Eric Schneiderman - Have you heard this name?  He is the new Attorney General of NY and he is concerned about the environment and has a preference for "healthy" foods. I expect that he will be a friend to this blog.  The Wall St Journal noted that he has already filed suit against a state for sending toxic emissions into NY and is known for challenging producers of products who claim to be "green" without actually following eco-friendly processes.

Tuna fish - Not to be confused with tuna in sushi or tuna steak, I refer to light canned tuna in water - It is a low calorie, protein and omega 3 power house.  Throw some drained tuna on a salad, add a little Parmesan cheese and a light dressing for a great, filling, low calorie meal that doesn't leave you nutrient deprived. 

Target/Walmart - Yesterday, I was at Target buying a curtain and whenever I am at a store that sells food, I check the prizes on some of my favorite packaged items (yikes, yes - I do buy some processed foods) to see if they are on sale.  Walking down the isles, I came upon two men - manager types.  One of them asked if he could help me find something and I replied, "No thanks, I am just checking prices."  He then said, "Oh, are you from Walmart?"  Ha Ha - he thought I was a spy :)  I laughed and said no, and added, "But I shop there!"  And off I went, to Walmart - :)

Pepsi-Naked Juice, Sports Drinks and now a Fruit Puree - The company may be targeting the health conscious but are these really healthy products?  Remember, containing fruit or nutrients - even electrolytes does not in and of itself make a product good for you.  An orange has electrolytes and vitamins, along with fiber and is low in calories.  These other items are much more likely to contain sugar and as beverages, are less likely to feel like foods - which calorically they would be .  Instead they would not trigger caloric moderation.  So in plain speak - forget about them :)

No comments: