Saturday, January 8, 2011

SHAPER

I am torn between two or three things for today.  These are fluoride, backs and shapers.  I suppose that the other two can be added to the Odds and Ends list for tomorrow.

I will briefly express my pet peeve then - Shapers.  I guess it is that time of year.  In the magazines, talk shows, websites and dailies - this January 2011 - "how can I look slimmer in my clothes", may be more popular a statement then "how do I lose weight." 

Those persons who can look in a full length mirror day after day and never express dissatisfaction are few. Trust me - I have issues with my body too.  I certainly want to dress in a way that will bring out whatever assets I have and hide the rest.  For me that means tighter tops and loser, wide legged pants.  Or as my Mom suggests, perhaps I could get padding for my butt :)  [bring back the bustle?]

However, the fashionista's are addressing the "do I look fat in this dress question." There is a  problem with hiding belly fat and it is two fold.  The compression involved cannot be good for you and having excess body fat is a precursor to many chronic diseases - debilitating and often fatal diseases.  You may squeeze a stomach into a girdle like garment, but that doesn't do a thing for blood sugar, clogged arteries or overburdened joints.

Being super slim is not healthy - but that doesn't erase the risk to health in being overweight.  Denying weight by dressing to hide it, if that is what is going on, is not the wisest response to either.

2 comments:

KLM said...

And the thing is, unless you are reasonably slim, the shaper really won't help. If you are reasonably skim, a shaper will smooth out the highly bits, or maybe give you the quarter inch you need because it's that time of the month or the friend you borrowed the dress from is just a wee bit smaller than you. If you've gained or failed to lose the bit of weight needed to not stress the seams of your clothing. It's a once in a while thing.

If you are overweight it's not going to make you look impressively thinner and is way too uncomfortable for everyday wear in anycase.

deedeeski said...

yes for sure on the uncomfortable part - thanks for your comments!