Monday, January 3, 2011

Which Tips are Tops

Today I took a look at the list that USA Today put together as the best weight loss tips they have recommended over the years.  You can see that list by clicking here.

I do hope that you will read their advice.  My post is in response to it.

 I found these tips to be ones that I might also suggest or have taken advantage of myself.  They are significantly abbreviated from the article.

1. set realistic goals, 6. portion size, 7. clean out fridge and pantry, 8. create a "dinner deck", 10. load up on produce and keep it handy, 12. make changes for everyone (i.e. non-fat milks and cheeses), 13. cut out liquid calories, 21. dine at the table, 22. dine out without over indulging, 23. get plenty of sleep, 24. weigh regularly.

Now some of these I REALLY liked, and some I liked with reservations.  For example, portion size is related to informed eating and one of my great passions.  If you are creative, you can still have a full plate.  Number seven is a must.  People who are quitting tobacco should not keep a pack of cigs around and recovering alcoholics do not need a pint hidden in the freezer.  You are either IN or OUT - lose the Twinkies.  Number eight is referring to index cards that have some favorite low cal recipes that you can prepare quickly and easily - to that I add "use some of the meals that Deirdre has on You Tube."   With regard to cutting out liquid calories - oh my gosh, fruit juice, sports drinks and soda - must go - if you would like to have alcohol on occasion, remember that light beer has about 100 cals for 12 ounces, wine has 100+ for only 4 ounces and liquor has 100 cals for 1.5 ounces.  That 1.5  can be mixed with 12 ounces of Fresca for a nice cocktail :) 

I have mixed feelings about the weigh regularly advice especially because in the article it notes that some persons weigh daily.  Now, it is true that the National Weight Control Registry lists the behaviors of successful weight reducers and moderating calories, exercising daily and weighing are all there - but weighing can become an obsession.  I weigh about twice a year but notice how my clothes feel all the time.  With that - give yourself permission to be bloated every now and again :)

There are two things in the article with which I categorically disagree .  The writers keep referring to dieting and dieters - BOO - diets are disasters and dieters feel defeated.  Instead, choose to eat in a way that maintains a weight that is good for YOUR health. 

In the article, number 18 suggests never eating after 8 pm and that is more myth than truth.  It always depends on what you eat and how much you eat in a given day.  If one goes to bed on an empty stomach the restorative sleep that is a top priority will be compromised.

Don't forget to check the article.  Review some You Tube video recipes.  And read this book

No comments: