Sunday, January 30, 2011

Odds and Ends

This week's few odds and ends are more reflections on headlines then mini reports.  You know that my passion for this blog site is to read beyond headlines, but I am not always able to do so.

Breast Cancer:  Conflicting reports?  I wonder about the news (which may be more or less valid based on the science behind it) that says having hot flashes is protective (a good thing) but taking HRT early in life is a risk.  Wouldn't the hot flashes be a reason for a woman to seek out HRT?  Are there comparisons on hot flashes and the timing and if they trigger HRT?  Hopefully, clinicians are steering women away from hormone replacement therapy all together, but that would be an interesting correlation to study.

McDonald's:  I read that the company was doing fairly well with profit and revenue and was benefiting from its efforts to change the image of many stores.  The upgrades include coffee drinks and smoothies, change in decor, the addition of wifi and most importantly, oatmeal, fruit and salad.  I would be interested in learning the demographics of the neighborhoods within 5 miles of these updated Micky D's.

Fitting it in:  I reviewed an employee survey over the weekend.  The respondents were asked about their interests for programming in regards to wellness.  A majority of persons wanted to know ways to incorporate more physical activity into their days.  Here is a thought, arrive at your destination a bit early and take a brisk walk around the parking lot.  My friend and I met for a 4:10 movie yesterday, at 3:30, and we walked both before and after the show.  It was great for me because I had driven 40 minutes to meet her and would be driving 40 minutes home - recalling that 60 minutes of continuous sedentary activity is the suggested limit, it was a disease preventing endeavor.

The Military:  A few months ago, maybe when I was in Florida for the Holiday - I heard a story on NPR regarding the lack of men and women who were "fit for duty" and the intervention that the military had created for basic training.  It included physical activity of course, but the cafeteria also got an upgrade.  The recruits interviewed said that they liked the food, they lost weight and they felt better.  It was also said that after they left basic training, the foods that they were exposed to were high in fat and calories and the old habits of overconsumption returned.  This week, the First Lady is said to be praising the military efforts and hopes that similar attitudes will permeate civil society.  I am sure she means the basic training environment.  I hope that low calorie, nutrient rich, eating makes a splash as well.  I also hope that Mr. Obama remains in office, simply because his wife is a formidable champion in the fight to curtail childhood obesity.

No comments: