Sunday, March 13, 2011

Odds and Ends

This week's edition may have a little bit of a travel theme as the day after the "size matters" post, I returned to NC.  I had been on a short visit with family and friends in the most awesome state of Florida.  Since getting back, I have been busy with conferences, meetings and proposal writing and spring break wasn't even over yet!  That explains my recent absence and classes resume tomorrow which will explain this weeks sparsity of blogs.

Foods: Blogging during my travels has often been a pleasure of mine though I did not give a play by play this time I do have something to share regarding meals.  Uncharacteristically, I had only packed a couple of things for my trip home. I then was laid over in Atlanta for hours and hours.  I arrived home (after flying to a different city and renting a car) eight hours later then scheduled.  Interestingly,  earlier in the evening while waiting for my connecting flight I noticed that a lot of foods in the stores and kiosks actually had nutrient labels.  The foods were not always low calorie, but some healthier options were available.  Later,I did cave in and buy a tuna fish sandwich.  It was labeled as having 300 calories.  The turkey and cheese sandwich had twice as many - weird.  The labels allow us to make the better choice even if the choices are the best ones.

Scanners:  You might recall from my last visit to Florida that the airport there has a full body scanner.  It was working this time - the person who checked my license said.  I told her that I did not want to do that and she said that when I got over there, if I was sent to that line, I could simply opt out.  As I approached I asked, "is that the full body scanner "- actually, I might have asked, "is that the X Ray scanner?"  The employee told me that it was fine that it was the wave one and did not have any radiation.  I went in and turned this way and that as the door closed and swirled.  Later I wondered about the veracity of the employee.  Last night I saw that the radiation tests that have been done on the airport scanners are being questioned and all machines will be reevaluated.  If someone such as me, who is concerned about this stuff, was ill equipped to make a decision I imagine that others will be confused as well.  I did review this today and the millimeter wave machine is not supposed to have radiation and the back scatter devices are the ones that are problematic.  In the story I am linking you to here, and in the one I read last night, it is noted that the amount of radiation in a machine is the same that one gets during two minutes of air travel.  This is quite upsetting to me as most flights are hours in length.  If I am concerned about a two minute dose, why in the heck am I flying??  Here is a list of the airports and their scanners.

Image: When I was waiting to board the plane to Atlanta, I was in full people watching mode.  Airports and shopping malls are the best for this.  As I looked at the people in the gate area- OH! side note- at both airports I found it disturbing that people would sit in their seats for hours and then get on the plane to sit a few more.  Sitting is bad people, sigh.-  I noticed that many of the people were overweight, plain, imperfect.  Their hair was not always 'just right" and even the prettiest or handsomest had flaws.  This was an important observation because I am very hard on myself and I suppose I am also vain.  I had talked to my Mom about this during my vacation (dissatisfied with my appearance) and as I looked at these normal every day people - amongst whom I fared pretty well, I realized that I had been doing something Mom had warned about years ago.  Can you guess what it is?  A lot of us do it... Comparing ourselves to the famous people who themselves don't even look like they look!

Genes: I've said it before and will say it again, but because my colleagues at an obesity conference this weekend were discussing the impact of genes on obesity, I will say it today.  If there are genetic implications to a condition or disease that ONLY means that lifestyle factors - or things that we CAN control are that much more important if you have the gene.  As far as I am concerned, we all need to act like we have the obesity gene (we do) and eat less and move more.

Helmets:  I saw two children roller blading in the park today and they had on helmets :)

No comments: