Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Size Matters

Size matters so much so that they can be changed - not a new blog topic per se, (vanity sizing) but another chance to talk about it.  I am, in case you didn't catch on, referring to clothing sizes.  It may be the same for men, but a man will have to tell me because I have not been wearing men's clothes for the last several decades and as such wouldn't have noticed.

Women's clothing, I have seen and others have confirmed, has gotten bigger while the number on the tag stays the same or even gets smaller.  Well, this is true in children's clothing as well - or girls.  You see we are all getting bigger and trying really hard to deny it.

I was thumbing through a popular magazine recently and saw one of those weight loss stories that have the before and after facts for the weight loser.  This particular one said "before - 164 lbs size 10"  and "after- 137 lbs size 4."  To which I reacted out loud, "WHAT?"

You see,  I once wore sizes ten and twelve - at the time my weight was maxed out at 149 - I have also worn a size 4 in the past and I weighed about 110.  So yeah, that is just crazy math people - crazy math.

4 comments:

Paula said...

This is soooo true!

Anonymous said...

What I want to know: How does their "after - 137 lbs, size 4" compare with my current "132-ish lbs, size 8 or 10??" It just doesn't make sense. I understand that different mfrs' clothes will be a little different, but I cannot imagine fitting into a size 4! (Unless of course, their 137 lbs is all muscle. I guess that would fit in a size 4?) (Hey, Paula!)
Lee Ann

deedeeski said...

Ah LA - I thought of you as a size 4 example - you were a 2-4 when we met - AND this Paula is my work buddy Paula - but I bet she doesn't mind your saying hello :)

Nil Zed said...

Yes, it does apply to men's cloths. I don't have a link but recently saw an article in which a guy discovered this when shopping and went on to research the waistband lies in men's pants at some of the major retailers. The variation was something like up to ten inches larger than the supposed measurement.