Saturday, December 5, 2009

dental hygeine

I am on the plane at the moment of creation. I will likely be home from the party when I send this to the blog. My battery is running low and I think the attendant is arriving with my hot, black coffee, so this will be brief indeed.

I have noticed over the last few years that a certain condition is a risk factor for several diseases and I don’t think many people realize it. I am referring to gum disease.

Gum disease will increase the risk for oral cancers, heart disease and adverse birth outcomes. I cannot log on to the Internet at this moment, so I am using my memory – the problem has to do with the inflammation that occurs from the gum disease. The inflammation spreads to the blood stream, the inflammation is in the blood and it is especially true that inflammation is related to heart disease. Remember the c-reactive protein and the homocysteine tests?

Whatever the process, gum disease is more than mouth problems and loss of teeth. Brush and floss daily and if at all possible see a dentist twice a year. Using smokeless tobacco or smoking can increase your risk for gum disease also.

No comments: