Friday, July 30, 2010

and the doctor said

Every now and again, I veer off the public health track and tell you a little personal story. That usually resonates well with readers and today I add to that.

With my impending - looming- move to NC on my mind, I scheduled a visit with my dentist, optometrist, and my primary care physician. I let them each know that I was leaving town for a while and after my visit I asked for a copy of my medical record to take with me. I will be so happy when that is an electronic record that I can access by password through some Internet portal. Anyway, they have all obliged and been very cool about it. Only one office wanted to charge me, but the doctor took care of that :)

Today I want to talk about the check out I had with my primary doc. I remember very well the first meeting I had with him. It seems that both my first and last visit was more talking than anything else. As the three years passed, I may have had one sick visit and one or two sports injury visits. I met with him in October of 2007 after I did some research (it was almost an interview, to see if we fit with each other.) I found a listing of clinicians that were accepting my insurance and then, as I have done for my last two or three docs, I found one that was a doctor of osteopathy who had also completed a fellowship (extra education/internship) in sports medicine. NOw if I had a chronic condition of some sort, like a heart problem, I might search for a DO with a cardiac speciality. In other words, this was about ME!

It has been a great relationship and many times we had dialogue that led to diagnosis and treatment suggestions. He knows, as have all my doctors, that I prefer clinical exams to Xrays and rehab or ice to medications. I was prescribed two medications during this time frame. One was for migraines, but after taking ONE of the sample, and finding relief, I have never taken any of the prescription. I do keep them in my purse because the day that I did take that pill I thought I was going to die. The migraines last summer were triggered by dehydration and I have been able to prevent a recurrence. My doctor also advised me to take one of the bisphosphonates for low bone density and I did, for about six months.

So when I saw him this past week, we touched base. He was very glad that I had added two serious weight training days to my routine. He feels that the muscle mass is important and running doesn't build it. He supports my running very much, and tells me to run as many miles as my body will let me, but ONLY running isn't necessary going to make me the fittest. He is also very pleased with my swimming. I too see the benefit of that in that it gets me off my feet and works my upper body really well. He thought that my taking 1000 IU of Vitamin D was exactly the right thing to do. He was not upset that I stopped the Fosomax because some people who take it don't have fractures and some people who take it do. (he said that the low bone mass and the risk for osteoporosis was pronounced in small framed whites and some Asians and there wasn't any way to prevent those risk factors) He supported the eye doctor's direction to protect my eyes from the sun and to use eye drops. My doctor said that with my running I needed wrap around sunglasses. I do not have those just yet. $$$$$$$$$$$ Oh and he told me to protect my eyes from the glare that I might get in NC from the SNOW!

I told him that I wanted to have one of those head to toe skin checks for precancerous spots etc. He thought that was a good idea and that I might get it done at one of the medical schools in NC - probably my former employer WFUBMC. And I was happy to hear him collaborate what I have said here, in regards to sunscreen. I should wear it of course, but there was evidence to suggest that anything over 30-50 SPF did not raise the protection level and wasn't necessary.

I think that is about it. He referred to me as fit and healthy and didn't examine me at all. The nurse had taken my vitals.

I will be getting health insurance through the University in Greensboro and will definitely take advantage of student services. I have my records should they be needed and I have my knowledge about health (which grows every day) and I know my own limits and strengths and am ready for this new journey.

No comments: