Thursday, July 22, 2010

Supplements

Never a fan of supplements or the supplement industry, I have previously and frequently noted that suggestions on pain reduction and cartilage repair are very overstated for both chondtroitin and glucosamine, either separately or together.

In July, a JAMA article highlighted yet another study - a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study - [what?? it means pretty tight and therefore, valid!] The research found no difference in pain reports between the two large groups. One group was given glucosamine and the other was not.

The research design I noted above blinds the researchers and the subjects. In other words, no one knows who is really taking the supplement until the end of the study. This particular project involved persons with back pain related to osteoarthritis. I have been told that I have OA in my SI joint. That would be my sacroiliac or very low back and an uncommon place to have OA, so I am told.

I would love to have less pain - though it is only occasional at this time. For now, I treat my flare ups with ice and the very infrequent 200 mg of ibuprofen. This I know, works.

No comments: