Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Grocery Aisle

I have done my best to educate my friends, family, coworkers and YOU on the importance of reading food labels and making choices that are best for your health and if you shop for others, theirs too. I may have mentioned that I had at one time created a proposal to teach people about labels right in the places where they need to know - the store.

Well, that isn't exactly what is underway now, but at least we are moving in the right direction. Some store chains are highlighting if not, ranking, certain food items at the point of purchase. The shelf tags encourage a person to buy a product because it is considered healthier than a similar product. If you think food manufacturers are miffed about this, you would be right.

My concern is over the criteria that is being used to judge the food. It is expected that salt, fat and sugar content will be taken into consideration, as will fiber content. I read that one of the large grocers was thinking of hiring a dietitian to walk the aisles and assist shoppers for a FEE. That got my dander up. I have advocated and will continue to advocate for making healthy choices possible for all people. These foods have to have an accessible price, and the knowledge about them has to be just as easy to get.

The store that probably needs a program like this the most is Wal-Mart and that is exactly where I had proposed to do my little label reading point of purchase "in service." I may change my intervention ideas a bit while in graduate school but I will not leave Wal-Mart and the community out of my sights.

These shelf tags are a good start and at the same time, people need to be empowered with nutritional truths. I propose to arm people with knowledge so that they understand WHY that food got a better score, not just that it did. For example, we don't all need the same amount of nutrients. In addition, all nutrients are not created equal and just adding good foods without addressing calories will NOT end our obesity epidemic.

I would like to see a national standard if we are going to start an onsite information program. Perhaps this is something that the DHHS would fund! I do not at all like heterogeneity in this area.

What I find most inspiring is that people are starting to deal with this problem. We have some school lunchrooms providing whole foods and lower calorie options. If manufacturers, grocers and restaurants continue to modify their foods, shelves and menus - we just might create an environment that is conducive to healthful eating.

BTW, Wal-Mart is expected to make an announcement about their nutritional planning before the end of the year. I look forward to hearing about their approach as the poorest of us frequent THOSE aisles and the poorest of us have the most obesity related diseases.

No comments: